Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
does anyone use/know of/recommend a monitor to buy that's over 19" but under 30"
not an ACD or Dell (as I have researched these to death and just want to look at other options before buying)

any advice or ideas would be fantastic, i'm currently looking into this whole HD stuff *confused*

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
So, 20" or 24"? Those seem to be the standard sizes. And, since you mention HD, I'm guessing you want 1920x1080 or better resolution?

How much are you willing to spend?

If the under-30" was due to budget reasons and not size, I thought I'd throw in that I spent US$1534 on a 37" Westinghouse LCD TV/monitor with 1920x1080 resolution that works great as a TV and connected to my mini.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
can i ask why no dell or ACD? IMO the dell is the best value. but other than that, i know samsung makes good monitors.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
jsw said:
So, 20" or 24"? Those seem to be the standard sizes. And, since you mention HD, I'm guessing you want 1920x1080 or better resolution?

How much are you willing to spend?

If the under-30" was due to budget reasons and not size, I thought I'd throw in that I spent US$1534 on a 37" Westinghouse LCD TV/monitor with 1920x1080 resolution that works great as a TV and connected to my mini.

Well, I've seen 20, 21, 23 and 24's and even heard about the 2707 from dell, so i'm not decided on a size, as long as it's over 19" it's all good.

the under 30" is mainly because, well, I really haven't much use..or space for anything that big lol.

when it comes to HD, I'm new to it all and therefore am too confused at present to know what I want, I'm using a 17" iMac right now, which will be switched for a mbp in the next few months, so I'm looking for a monitor to use it with, obviously the better the resolution and stuff the better.
I'm in the UK, and my budget would be around the 850 mark (about $1500) but i've never had to buy a monitor before so I could go higher or lower for the right one...

...as you can probably see i'm a little cluless and just looking for some direction.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
wPod said:
can i ask why no dell or ACD? IMO the dell is the best value. but other than that, i know samsung makes good monitors.

because i'm looking for other options, I've looked into Dell and ACD's and decided that I wanted a 2405fpw or a 2707fpw when they finally arrive.
but I wanted to see if there were any other options.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I don't have that much knowledge about monitors either but my guess would be to stick with known names in that business. Like Samsung, View-Sonic, Planar, maybe even Sony. Things to look for are input connection like DVI or HDMI, response rate, view angle, contrast ratio and resolution.

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
For what it's worth, I just picked up a new Samsung 21" 215TW (1680x1050 widescreen), and am very happy with it.

I was using a very nice Viewsonic 20" 1600x1200 panel with both my Mac Mini and PC, but decided to get a second monitor since it looks like I'm going to be running both machines for a while. The Samsung is noticeably better than the Viewsonic, and the price was very good ($550US, though you can find it for a bit less). It has DVI, VGA, Component, and SVideo, along with stereo audio input for the latter two and Picture in Picture (if you wanted to hook up a DVD player or similar).

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.