Looking for advice on updating clamshell iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Raid, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hi guys,
    Tonight I had a 300Mhz Tangarine iBook drop in my lap that has been basically untouched since purchased in 2000...yes it's true it actually happens! :D

The owners would like to use this as a portable e-mail and surfing machine for around the house. Now from the web I've discovered that I can put 10.3.9 on the machine, but with only 98MB for RAM I'm worried it might not cope very well.

Does anybody know of/have/seen a clamshell running OS X with such limited RAM? The user demands are not going to be that big, but I don't want the machine to rely on VRAM too much...

There are some hardware concerns too. Since they'd like a portable unit I need to find them an Airport card that works with it, is this the same card that went into the older TiBooks and G4 laptops? Also despite the lack of cycles in the battery, the lack of charge for such a long time has killed it off. Can I find a battery replacement out there that will work?

Thanks for your help!

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

:eek: OS X on 96mb of ram :eek:........

"da pain!, oh da pain!" he screams!, as he grabs his chest in sheer agony and falls to the floor, writhing in desperation as the life quickly slips out of him and he floats off into the abyss :(

you can find ram (max it out if possible to 544/576mb), airport cards, and batteries here, over @macnn, craigslist, and/or ebay :p