looking for aftermarket harddrive, need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MCDeath, Jun 1, 2006.

1. MCDeath macrumors newbie

i got my macbook in the other day, im loving it for the most part. but i need to up the harddrive real quick. i saw a few different brands, im looking for a 120gb with the higher rpms but need some help selecting.

also, ill probably repost but how do you swap information on the drives? i heard you can transfer software without reloading ? was this a lie?

2. emaja macrumors 68000

I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge the 120GB drives are still 5400RPMs. There are 100GB drives that are 7200RPM, giving you a larger drive as well as a faster drive over the stock drives.

You can easily transfer programs, data, and even the OS itself to a new drive without reinstalling everything. It is called cloning. I use SuperDuper and it works great.

Buy the new drive and an external FireWire enclosure - preferably one with the Oxford 911 chipset in it. Put the new drive in the enclosure and use SuperDuper to make a bootable clone of the internal drive to the external drive. Then swap the drives. Put the new drive that was in the FW enclosure into the MacBook and take the old drive from the MacBook and put it in the enclosure. Format the old drive if you want, but I'd leave it alone. Then you can use SD's smart update feature to backup to it, but this time it will only update the files that have changed since your last update, saving a ton of time.

Now your MB is exactly as you left it, but with a larger, faster HD. Plus you have a new external drive to make backups and carry around for extra storage.

Remember that both the replacement drive and the enclosure must be for SATA drives. No more IDE for Mac portables.