Looking for an HDV camcorder...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Fuzzy Orange, Mar 24, 2007.

Which HDV camcorder?

1. Canon HV10

0 vote(s)
  2. Canon HV20

8 vote(s)
  3. Sony HDR-HC7

3 vote(s)
  4. Sony HDR-SR1

1 vote(s)
  5. Canon PowerShot TX1

2 vote(s)
  1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Jul 29, 2006
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for an HDV camcorder that will be used for everything a consumer would basically use it for. I am unfortunately (or fortunately?) a techie, and have chosen the path of an high definition camcorder. I have narrowed it down to a couple choices-

-Canon HV20

-Sony HDR-SR1

-Canon HV10

-Sony HDR-HC7

-Canon PowerShot TX1

So those are my choices. I am not sure about the TX1, because it seems too good to be true. A 7 MP still camera + a HD camcorder? I don't believe it.
  2. zioxide macrumors 603

Dec 11, 2006
    Well the HV20 and the HC7 are the two best on the market. The HV20 has a full 24p (the way movies are shot) mode, and the HC7 doesn't. However, the HV20 is missing a LANC port so you could use an external zoom controller, but if you don't have an external zoom controller for your tripod, than who cares?

Bottom line: If you really need the LANC support, then get the HC7. Otherwise, the Canon has full 24p and you'll save 60 bucks that can go towards tapes/extra batteries/etc.
  3. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Jul 29, 2006
    I'm sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but what media does the HV20 record to? The HDR-SC1 has that 30 GB HDD that looks oh so nice, but I've heard it won't work with iMovie/FCE/FCP. Is this true?
  4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The HV20 records to tape as does the HC7. Right now non-tape options just aren't up to par, IMO. In the consumer realm currently the non-tape cameras offer inferior image quality and/or formats that will require transcoding before you can work w/them on your Mac, plus you also have to worry about backing up your footage as you don't have a nice little tape sitting on a shelf.

I really don't know anything about the TX1, but after a little reading it does appear to be too good to be true. It can only record up to 13min of HD at a time or 30min of SD (unless you reduce the frame rate to 15 fps). Even then I don't know what codec/compressoin is used. The TX1 looks like the consumer camera w/the best video function, but its still just a video function on a still camera. Which is only a little more useful than the still functions on video cameras. ;)

5. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Jul 29, 2006
    Ok, I've eliminated the TX1 and the HDR-SC1. So that leaves the HV10, HV20, and HDR-HC7. I would get the HV10 because I like the smaller size and the cheaper price, but the HV20 is only $200 more... and I guess I would have to get HDV tape either way. Has anyone used the HV10? Does it feel good to hold (the ergonomics look weird)?
  6. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    Hmm, I wonder which camcorder Multimedia would recommend?
  7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    MM would suggest checking out the dedicated threads...

Multimedia has created dedicated threads for both his beloved HC7 and the HV20. In addition, there is another HV20 review thread here. :D
  8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm sorry I can not vote in this poll because none of those cameras get a passing grade from me. ;)

I'm looking at the Canon XH-G1, but the internal battery makes me say, "ehh."
  9. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    The TX1 is supposedly a great camera and a great camcorder. Yes it only takes 13 minutes of HD footage, but it is not trying to replace the camcorder, but merely be there when most camcorders aren't coming. For example, say you are going on a family trip and room is scarce. Bring a couple compact flash cards and this thing and suddenly you got a good amount of footage to capture.

The reason it has such horrible footage times is because it captures as JMPEG (or something like that). They claim it is so that you can take particular frame of the video and still use them for a photograph. I've heard mixed reviews on this. Mostly good though. The sanyo has a camera like this and it uses MPEG4 and I hear that it only gets footage barely above SD cameras.

So what you are looking for is not really this. I am in heavy debate if I should get it. Not a lot of space in my dorm, and really don't record anything; though there are those times (karaoke nights with some drinks :cool:) that a good 13 minutes would be excellent. But I just don't know... hmmm...