Looking for an OLD Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ----Bowie----, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Hi

I'm looking for a VERY old Powerbook. I'm in high school and would like to have an Apple notebook just for Word. I have very little money to spend on another computer. Where could I find one? :) :) :)

Thanks

2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I've got a PowerBook 180. It runs Word just fine. Send me a PM if you're interested.

3. mstecker macrumors 6502

ebay

ebay.

sorry for the short reply, but it really is your one-stop-shop fo old mac hardware

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I am not sure how old you should go. I personally would not go back any further than a wallstreet model.

How much can you spend? You can usually find a wallstreet model PB for around $200-300, depending on specs. You may also be able to find a good deal on an old (clamshell) iBook. Maybe a Lombard model PB can be found for not too much more also...

The good news with the WS/Lombard is that they can both be upgraded to pretty capable machines and I believe all the models I have listed will run os X with enough Ram. Definitely os 9.

would not recommend Kanga model PB or older...

As for where to look...LowEndMac is a good start, so is PowerbookCentral and eBay. It might also be useful to snoop around at any local retail store selling macs for trade-ins etc. You might also try craigslist.com, if they have your city (not sure where you live in Canada)

prices I mentioned are in US$, good luck.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Check out ebay for Apple Laptops. I'd recommend looking at the iBook G3s that were recently replaced by the G4s. They were already only $700, they were cut to around $600 afterwards, and now a new one should be $450. A used one should fall into range for you. They have very good battery life, which you may not get with an older PowerBook which might have an older battery. Just my thoughts.

6. afehrenbach macrumors member

To reply to your message, I have a Macintosh G3 Powerbook Wallstreet. It runs at 233MHz, has a 30GB HD, a 14" screen, runs Mac OS 9.2.2 and has Office 98 including Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It is really the perfect, cheap machine for simple tasks like what you're talking about. Private message me if you're interested or need more info...

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think he wants to run a more recent version of Word than 3 or 4 :p

8. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

5.1, Actually. :D

9. ----Bowie---- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help! I think I can save some more money and go for a Powerbook G3 or an iBook G3 in a month or two! But saving for college comes first!:rolleyes:

Thanks again! :)