Looking for an opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacNut, Feb 13, 2002.

  1. MacNut macrumors Core


    Jan 4, 2002
    Im ready for a new PowerMac and I was all set to buy a dual gig G4 but now im hearing about this 1.5 gig in July. Is a dual 1 ghz machine gonna keep me running for a few years or should i wait for the 1.5. I cant really hold out till summer (but DDR ram does sound nice) so will a dual gig be enough to last me a few years?

    P.S. dont hold your breath for a G5 because I dont think we will see it till MWSF2003
  2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030


    Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The problem...

    ...is not the speed. DP1GHz will hold you for a while on that. The problem is the upgrades/ports. PC133 RAM (and the 133MHz bus that uses it) is on its way out, as is ATA-66, USB 1.1, and (most likely) FireWire1. All of these will become more expensive/harder to get stuff for as the newer technologies replace them. I'm waiting for these to be replaced before I upgrade, but it might not be before summer. I'd say wait until MW Tokyo, if nothing happens there, your guess is as good as mine when it will happen.
  3. madamimadam macrumors 65816


    Jan 3, 2002
    Re: Looking for an opinion

    What do you actually do with your machine?

    Are you in the Northern Hemisphere? If you are, then you should get the dual 1GHz if you can not wait until summer. Appart from Apple's head of hardware marketing, or along those lines, saying there will be no new hardware just yet (arn posted that on this site) they would not do anything major just after upgrading the machines. I think your late Summer will be a big upgrade.... my guess only.

Share This Page