Looking for an RPG style game

Discussion in 'Games' started by crazycat, Mar 10, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I play wow a lot, my guild is doing very well, we run Molten core is about 3 hours, we finish The Black Wing Lair in 1 night and we are in teh new instance Ahn Quraj (Spelling), but sometimes i want to play something different for 1-2 hours when i am not playing wow. I am looking for a game that allows me to run around killing stuff and advancing my charecter, kinda like wow but not an MMOG. I cant play an MMOG after wow, nothing comes close to it.

I am looking for a Mac or PC game. Ty.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you've got a PC check out Guild Wars it is more of a internet based co-op rpg, other than in the towns it never feels like a mmorpg. All missions are done in teams of 4,6, or 8. Great fun I'd give it 2 thumbs up.

My kingdom for an OS X port!

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Echo that! one of my mates swears by Guild Wars. I don't think you pay a subscription fee for that too. Which is nice.

4. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Since you specifically said you don't want another MMOG (which, basically, Guild Wars is), I'd recommend most any of BioWare's RPG's...Neverwinter Nights, Bauldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale. They all have the same basic gameplay, though NWN is a bit different from the others, and it's personally my favorite out of all of them.

5. phill1234 macrumors member

phill1234

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

fable: the lost chapters (port of xbox version+some extra content) is very good on pc, and i think it's coming out for mac. it can be hack/slash or more magic-oriented and it's a very good story.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Guild Wars isn't a MMORPG. You start off in towns which may have hundreds of people in them but as soon as you get your team sorted (you don't even need to add any other humans) and you leave the town you are completely on your own. You don't ever meet any other people. Once again Guild Wars isn't a MMORPG it's a great RPG, with a good story that goes through the whole game, and you just happen to be able to play it with people you meet online. Not to take anything away from NWN it's a great game, Guild Wars just happens to be better imo.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

This may be true, but the henchies will only get you so far. Once you reach a certain point, you *have* to have a good team of human players to advance.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Definitely.

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

So why recommend GW? :p

I second the nominations for NWN, although the D&Dv3 ruleset can get a bit tedious at times. You might also look into Diablo II. There're plenty of ways to develop your character and his armor/weapon sets.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm sorry are you saying that playing with 3 dudes online is a MMORPG? LMFAO! Yeah I guess some people don't have friends. :rolleyes:

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'm saying that he specifically asked for a non-MMO and that GW treads a fine line between MMO and non-MMO by requiring that you party up with other folks to finish the game.

You have to party up just to get through The Searing!

Way to completely miss the point.

By asking specifically for non-MMO games, I assumed (oops?) that he was looking for a solely single-player dungeon crawl or something similar. That's why I'd recommend NWN, Dungeon Seige, Baldur's Gate, or Diablo II to him before I'd recommend GW.

13. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

dang...you spent alot of money this year...so far. ;)

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Knights of the Old Republic for Mac or for PC (you can also play Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords on a PC)

15. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

it's not tedious at all :)
    i have a untweaked samurai warrior in NWN that dual wields katana who kills pretty much anything expect bosses and dragons in half round.
    fits the profile "running around killing everything" :D

16. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

i tried KOTOR on Mac and it has a very serious OpenGL bug on Dantoine.
    i couldn't find a fix for it, so i discarded the game.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I second Diablo II...it's an awesome game, even if it is old, and character gearing/advancement is almost infinite.

Plus, Paladins are really good in it, unlike WoW. :p