Looking for backup application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blasto333, Aug 21, 2005.

1. blasto333 macrumors regular

I am looking for a backup application that can do all that the .Mac backup application can do. I am no longer going to be a dotmac member because it just is not worth the cost and was getting really slow! (I only used email and backup, and it was getting slow).

I now need a backup application that can backup files to an external hard drive and a remote ftp server (I have 2gb free). Is there any easy to use application(s) that do this. I am willing to spend up to $30, but I would prefer to use a free application.

Thanks,

Chris Muench

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

SuperDuper! is fast, easy, intuitive, and only costs 20 dollars. I definitely recommend this product...

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

CCC is a great freeware app, and v.2.3 now works with Tiger 10.4.2
    X

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

CCC is good if you want to make a one-off bootable clone (which you can do with SuperDuper for free as well).

SuperDuper has a smart update feature, which allows you to sync your backup image with your HD, taking ten minutes instead of another hour. As a regular backup utility you can't really compare CCC to SuperDuper.

However, SuperDuper isn't going to allow you to backup to a remote server. For this, just use a free ftp client like, CyberDuck.

6. blasto333 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anything that is totally automated though? (for remote backups). CCC is ok, but I would prefer to do image backups on a schedule.

7. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm waiting to watch what Backup 3 brings...
    there have been a few rumours... so recently renewed my .Mac account.

oh yeah and having @mac email address with simple iDisk / Homepage optins convenient.

I'm still hoping to a greatly enhanced .Mac service soon though.

8. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Personally I use Retrospect by Dantz. It can backup backup to various types of media. I use it because it's the only backup program that I know of that offers data compression. Mean

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Deja Vu is nice and simple, totally automated. It's what I use for my daily and weekly backups, the only thing that's disappointing is it won't tell you if the backup didn't occur (unless you go into the control pane). If it emailed you or left an alert saying "failure" it would be helpful. (sometimes huge files accidentally get left in the origin folders, leaving too little room to back everything up)

10. UniAce macrumors newbie

I use Data Backup by Prosoft Engineering. It also allows compression and gives you a variety of options for different kinds of backups and different automatic scheduling.

11. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Lots of opinions. My vote is still for CCC. Although I may have to try some of the others mentioned in this thread.