Looking for better software

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

Am currently looking into other burning type applications like Toast 11 (all-in-one suite), but other software that do the same thing.

I guess prefer stand-alone, as that way i can only install the stuff i need, instead of having 'bloatware' on my Mac which i don't use.

Must do video (converting to and/from dvd video/formats), (Audio CD - converting to certain, or most formats with the help of Perian), (burn data pc and or Hybrid (PC/Mac), making ISO image from files/disc, would be the main ones.

Also, a better Disc Cover maker (e.g.... Disc Cover in Toast that you would use to create your own CD/DVD inserts.

I''m open to suggestions as to any alternatives ..... DOn't mind Free, as always, but don't mind paying either, if its any good.

2. macrumors 6502a

RE: drutil...

Hi Tech198,

If you don't want `bloatware', then you could just use the routines already built into the Mac OS for this. I believe the "drutil" utility will do everything you require, including burning, making ISOs, etc. See the manpage "man drutil" for documentation.

Regards,
    Switon

P.S. If you use MacPorts or Fink, then there are also a number of commandline utilities in the dvd+rw-tools package to do the same "burn" operations.

3. thread starter macrumors 603

ok..... 'bloatware' meaning a full suite with TiVo transfer and other related stuff..

I'm not that tech savy with Terminal, so it must be software..... I'm just not after installing 900MB worth of stuff (when i only use x application)

4. macrumors 601

satcomer

Maybe you looking for something like Burn.

5. macrumors member

For me burn is best burning software for mac

6. thread starter macrumors 603

ok thanks.... Tried this but it doesn't support .AVI files..

Even with perian installed, the files are greyed out...... Suggesting i may manually need to convert them first....

ANy other software ?

7. macrumors newbie

i think so,For me burn is best burning software for mac.thanks for your sharing [​IMG]