Looking for Bold serif font

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Stevie T, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Stevie T
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

My first post here but have followed the boards and site for a number of years now. I'm hoping this is a good place to ask this question as I'm a little stumped currently.

I'm looking for a font for a sticker I'm doing and was hoping someone here might be of assistance. I'm looking for a serif font, that's quite thick and blocky, not unlike Futura Condensed ExtraBold but in a serif font. There's an example that a friend wants me to follow but I can't find a reference for it online. The font's straight up and down not italicized, I'm not really sure what else to tell you...

Actually I'll do a quick mock up of a few of the letters. I've added a picture where I've added serif tails on to futura just to give you a visual reference. The font is obviously different to futura but I used it as a base to give ou a visual. Hope this helps, I know it's trashy but hopefully it gives you an idea of where the tails are etc. Does anyone know what font I'm looking for?

Thanks

Stevie

Attached Files:

2. tominated
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

tominated

try identifont. it asks heaps of question and usually comes up with a good answer

3. Stevie T
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks tominated, I've tried quite a few times without much luck, will keep trying though. Anyone else have any suggestions?

4. funkybrenner
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

5. SrWebDeveloper
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The Rockwell doesn't have the right "tail" based on the OP's example font.

But it's not bad! The reason I say that is because there are 4400 fonts with Serif in the name, 2170 with Serif and bold based on FontShop.com which is a great place to research since their database is vast and the interface is easy.

But after 11 pages and 250 or so fonts, I gave up. Maybe you have more endurance than I do, and are willing to search further.

Here's where I left off:

http://www.fontshop.com/search/?q=serif&site=d&start=225&num=25

(The second one down is in italics, but it has the tail and blocky look)

http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/downloads/device_fonts/rogue_serif_bold/ <- close, not perfect

I'm sorry I don't have a specific solution, but the site I linked is comprehensive and a great place for you to check out in hopes of success.

-jim

6. IgnatiusTheKing
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

7. SrWebDeveloper
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

8. ezekielrage_99
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

9. Krebstar
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Baskerville Bold was the first thing that came into my head, although it may not be thick and bold enough for what you're looking for.

10. Stevie T
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your efforts, really do appreciate it. I've had similar results myself, but whilst they're remarkably close it's still not quite it. The best results I had were through TypeNavigator so far. I wish there was a way to give you a better example, the trouble is the original stickers are incredibly small and in poor shape so it's hard to get a clear photo. I'll keep trying and thanks for the help. If I can get you a better example I'll post it. I also realised that the E was wrong in my example, it actually has serifs on the left like beton below, however it has a serif on the middle horizontal of the E also, unlike beton:

http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/singles/urw/beton_extra_bold/&fs_segment=TypeNav

And yes, it is a slab serif look, thanks.