Looking for Carbon App with system spellechecker support

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maler, May 10, 2003.

1. maler macrumors newbie

Hi,

what makes mi angry is missing of funcionality of system spellchecker in carbon aps, like Page Spinner is (or Eudora or others). Does someone know any Carbon app with spechecker support (just for curiosity :) OR does somone know such a good HTML editor like Page Spinner is in Cocoa?

Thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't think that Carbon apps support Services, which is how the spellchecker works, but some of them have their own. As far as HTML Editors go, I think WebDesign 2.1 might fit the bill, but I'm not sure.

JW

3. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Appleworks is a good Carbon Application with a built in Spellchecker. As for using the built in Spellchechecker with Carbon Applications, you can forget about it because it's a feature that only Cocoa applications can use.

4. maler thread starter macrumors newbie

I DON'T CARE about applications with build in spellchecker. Why? because there is very good czech spellchecker for system spellchecker, but for every of this carbon apps you need to create new - special - one. So my holly grail will be or Page Spinner supporting system spellechecker or some new great Cocao HTML (belive or not, i saw one Cocoa made WTIHOUT spellchecking - and not great at all :)

5. maler thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure? I never got any clear answer from anyone, even programers (true that it was cocoa guy...)

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I'm pretty sure that this is the way it works.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

were you trying to be ironic when you spelled it "spellechecker" on the topic of the thread? ;)

8. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

LOL! I didn't even notice that. Nice catch, Shadowfax.
    :D

9. maler thread starter macrumors newbie

Noop. My english is not so good that i can try to by ironic, so just a typo...

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that's when you're supposed to say, yes, i'm cool, check out my awesome sense of humor and irony! I would never have known the difference ;)

i wish bousozuko were here. you should PM him. i think he'd mentioned to me at some point that carbon apps really can use a spell checking feature. it may have been someone else... but some programming genius or other...

11. benjaminpg macrumors regular

The built-in system spell checker is available to carbon applications. It just is much more work to implement. In Cocoa, it is essentially free; it takes three seconds to implement. It is much easier for carbon developers to continue to use the spell checking system they have been using for years, instead of trying to implement the system one.

For evidence, Monkeybread Software makes a plug-in for REALbasic that lets REALbasic programmers use the built-in system spell checker. On the other hand, there are many carbon applications that use the services menu.