Looking for certain freeware - excel, powerpoint & access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok everyone knows of Microsoft Office or even AppleWorks that is a mac person. Well I've found AbiWord for Mac, just extract and run, that is freeware. It acts and looks exactly like Microsoft Word or Apple Word (can I call it that?). Anyways, I'm looking for 3 more programs to complete the set. Here's what conditions they have to meet:

MUST BE FREEWARE
    MUST BE SEPARATE PACKAGES - e.g. no NeoOffice Suites or OpenOffice Suites
    MUST BE ABLE TO RUN ON OS 10.2(.8) OR HIGHER

I'm looking for an Excel, Powerpoint, and Access (database). I tried doing a search for AbiExcel - I know they don't make it, but it was worth a shot. Anyways, if you could show me some that would be great.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Out of curiousity, why no packages? I mean I know why *I'm* not happy with NeoOffice or OO, but I also know why I paid for MS Office. ;) And hint, they're pretty much the same reason. :p

Don't get me wrong, please; it's an interesting project. But I'm just curious about the package thing.

I'm also curious as to why Neo is made that way, with the whole thing booting up at once like Works. Hmmm...it's probably in a faq somewhere if I dig.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Spreadsheet:
    Does it have to be compatible with .xls files?
    Gnumeric (free from gnome.org) will run under x11 and it will read excell files!
    Not sure if it will write excell (.xls) files.

Presenter:
    KPresent

Database:
    http://www.gnome-db.org/

You'll need X11 to run them..
    I think they all can be installed via Fink.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

ive never found anything as good as microsoft office 2004 for the mac. even the windows versions. it's great.

but because it's microsoft, i'd never be able to bring myself to pay for it - i mean give those bastards $800 (it's £400 or so in the UK)? no matter how good i wouldn't pay microsoft $0.01 for it. If it was apple i'd shell out $800 though!

luckily i got it free from my university due to learning difficulties i have, but i think when i graduate i might be tempted to look *elsewhere* for upgrades...

oh and no, i didn't say that...

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Wow, thanx. Those are perfect.

The reason I don't want NeoOffice is because I had it on my old mac (233MHz) and it ran so slow, and at school I can't install packages so thats why I said (I think I did) that it can be extracted and run - but I know how to install with admin privleges.

6. michaelthegeek macrumors newbie

first go to google than search google pack go to the first on than select star office

first go to pack.google.com select star office and anything else
    you want then just click install software if this doe's not work try searching star office on Google, note: this is free software and is 100% legal enjoy!!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Friend, this thread is from three years ago... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.