Looking for coding partner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dex22, Aug 4, 2004.

1. dex22 macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2003
    Round Rock, TX
    Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to form a partnership with. Ummm, can I rephrase that? :)

If you're an OS X objective-C/xcode programmer looking for something to do, I have a specification for an application. I'm more clearly a marketing person. You would be writing an application for independent filmmakers, and I would be marketing it and providing all support. We would be a simple partnership with straight 50/50 sharing of all proceeds.

The application is a simple but specialized text editor, plus a scheduling module that parses the script output to create schedules. It can get complicated from there.

You could be anywhere in the World. You do need to be competent, and to be responsive/contactable. Remember, this isn't interviewing people for a job - I'm looking for a straight 50/50 business partner.

I can be contacted at dave (at) nonstickglue.com

A new piece of Mac software for a whole new market during a very interesting time. It doesn't get much better :)
  2. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2003
    Round Rock, TX
    Thanks to the three people who emailed me. The same questions kept coming up, so I'll answer them here...

1. Will you rip off the code? You keep the source code. I don't need it.

2. Is this open-source? No, this isn't an open-source, free project. Similar programs all cost $200-$250 on the Mac. I see this as a simpler app with a lower price-point - under $100. It could easily sell several thousand copies.

3. The hardest part? Depends on your approach. Either the mark-up chart/table/list that indicates styles. Keywords like character names, locations, int/ext and day/night all have special meanings... Or the scheduling editor screen that allows block copying and grouping of columns of data, which is being visually represented, so it can be printed in uniform pages.

4. 50/50 of what? There will be a gross income. Expenses and taxes will be paid from that. What is left will be a company asset from which we both draw an equal salary. In the event of the dissolution of the company, all assets would be divided equally.

5. Who am I? Hi, I'm Dave :) I'm an independent filmmaker in Houston, who is a mac user and C programmer. I know what tools are out there for filmmakers and for programmers. The filmmaker tools are unweildy and expensive, and not attractive to the general group of low-budget indie filmmakers. Who is going to spend $250 on a glorified text editor? :D I have respect for the craft of programming, and respect for the budgets of filmmakers. Not to mention that a huge number of us use Macs! It's a big growth area.

6. Why should I trust you? If you work with me, we'll be working together for a long time before there's anything marketable to show for it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to get to know me before you invest too much time in the project.

7. Where's the money coming from? Well, you're the programmer, and that skill and time is your contribution. I will be providing 100% financing. Your cash investment is zero, because your time is worth more than money.

If anyone has any other questions, please email me dave (at) nonstickglue.com or post here :)