Looking for Databade App (Free or Cheap, for LEGO)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srobert, Feb 20, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hello.

I haven't used a database application in years. I think I once used Filemaker (6-7 years ago?) and before that Lotus or Dbase (15-20 years ago?).

The reason I'm looking for a database is that I have a growing collection of LEGO bricks. I used to keep track of my inventory in an Excel file but it's becoming too large to be efficiently searched and organized.

Basically, I need to create an inventory of all my bricks with fields like: dimensions, part number, category, sub-category, color, patterns, picture, where it's stored, quantity, etc…

Do you guys know of a good database program I could use for this? Ideally, I'd like to keep it under $100.

Thanks

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

sounds pretty cool, and well worth a database.

you could try hit up http://www.freshmeat.net/ and search in the MAC OS X section for "database" (go into the "browse" link first).. that is assuming your using MAC OS X. Most stuff on freshmeat is opensource, etc...

Otherwise, I'd personaly knock something up with mySQL and PHP, but that requires more work than you'd want to be doing.

Other than that.. just how much lego do you have? wouldnt have any crazy collection pictures or something? And your going to catalogue every 'brick' ? wow!

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks for the link. I'll go have a look.

I've got what I would call a "serious amateur" sized collection. A little over 40,000 bricks. I could take a pic next week when I get back my digital camera from a friend.

I build a lot of custom things for fun. Having acces to a database of my bricks would help me quickly know if I have a piece in the right color or if I need to order it.

Cataloging the brick won't be that much work. I can download XML LEGO brick lists by set from Bricklink. I will only have to add manually what I purchased by the brick. I'm pretty sure I kept the lists somewhere.

4. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

There's always mysql, but that'd take some learning. Look into openoffice, i think that has a db application these days.

5. Lau Guest

Sorry I can't help with the database question, but I would love to see a picture of this. Lego is my favourite. :)

6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

gotta have the pics :)

mysql, good suggestion and powerful for a learner if you can find an easy way to build with it.

I believe Dreamweaver (web page creator) allows you to develop with mysql databases too. I was using it the other day and was suprised at how easy it was to build a simple site/page, and interface to mysql.

my fave was always 'lego technic'.. I still remember my "lego Chassis" kit, which was a working chassis, with gears... and you could also build a drag car.

I had a mate that was seriously into the lego train stuff. he had a room in his parents place just full of working train stuff.. it was amazing. expensive stuff!

7. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I've downloaded and installed "Complete MySQL 4.0.21".

When I double click the MySQL preference pane I get the following message: "Preferences Error. You cannot open MySQL preferences pane on this computer. Contact the developer of this software for a newer version."

HAs anybody been able to run MySQL on an intel duo iMac?

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Checkout CocoaMySQL.

It gives a very nice gui to creating/editing a mysql database. I highly recommend it.

(You will still need something to start/stop a mysql server on your local machine, if you're not using a mysql db on a site somewhere. I recommend MAMP for that.)