Looking for external backup drive.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DanTekGeek, Nov 25, 2004.

1. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

hi all,
    Im looking for a backup drive for when i get my powerbook. I wont need to be backing up too much stuff, mainly my documents and preferences, (eg, home folder). 20 GB ought to be enough, but as allways, bigger is better. It dosent need to be small, or particularly pretty. I am however looking for something that comes with good backup software. I dont want to spend more than $200 bucks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there are countless threads here already about external drives...have you looked through any of those yet?

You can probably pick up an external firewire case for $40, then just buy a drive and plunk it in. There's lots of cheap and/or free software to back up your stuff, from LaCie's Silverkeeper, to Carbon Copy Cloner...for $200 you should have absolutely no problem coming up with a good solution.....oh yeah!

3. Cybbe macrumors 6502

I recently got a 250gb LACIE fw disk. It comes with a backup program, but I haven't tested it as I wont be using it for that purpose. Most external disks come bundled with some kind of software though.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd keep in mind the option to get a 40 or 60 gb ipod (if you would use it otherwise of course) and use the extra space (assuming you don't have 40+gb of music) for backup... that's more than 200 of course, but assuming you would want/need/use an ipod, then that'd be worthwhile

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

If you want to use the drive with a PB and you only want around 20gb, I would suggest one of the Lacie Porsche drives - they are lightweight, dont need power and arent *too* expensive.

They are really easy to carry around too - one of the main advantages for me. If you dont need portability, then you can get better value for your money with a Lacie d2 drive.

HTH,
    Asif