Looking for External BluRay burner/Ripper for RMP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tomasmekean, Jan 3, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I purchased a Digistor External Blu Ray burner to backup some of my older BluRay's that do not have a digital copy. I am only getting 1.5X ripping speed and it was going to take over 4 hours to back up my Blu Ray. I ended up just buying it of iTunes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase? I want a good solid external Blu Ray for my RMP.

2. macrumors 604

The ripping speed depends more on the software on the Mac than on the speed of the blu-ray drive.

3. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

1.5x ripping speed that was gonna take 4 hours? :confused:

What software were you using? Did you try MakeMKV? Usually takes me around half an hour to an hour to backup my blu-rays

EDIT - I have some cheap no-name blu-ray drive from Amazon and it works swimmingly.

4. macrumors regular

You may want to think about all the factors in ripping blu-ray to an external device. Inside the MBP are several factors (CPU, memory, disk), as is the burning speed of the writer. Don't forget the I/O port. USB 2 is probably the worst choice here.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I have the RMP with a 2.7 Ghz 16GB 768SSD. I was using a Digistor external Blu-Ray and the disc was 35GB. The max speed the rip went was 1.5x. I stopped after 45 mins and it still said it required 3 hours and 15 mins to complete. I just went to BestBuy and purchased the LG drive and it ripped the disc in 26mins and 54 seconds. Also the software I was using was MakeMKV.

6. Fed
    macrumors 6502

Could anyone comment on this drive? Reviews seem OK and I generally trust Samsung. I'm looking to backup my BluRay collection via my MacBook. Which software does everyone use to rip? Does OSX natively play BluRay?

7. macrumors regular

I have had this unit for approx 4 months works fine, no problems. I used it to rip my blurays using makemkv. Keep in mind this unit requires 2 usb slots to work as it needs 2 for a decent amount of power. So just make sure you are aware you need a couple free slots that are close together.