looking for external HD recommendations

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by applefan, Apr 15, 2003.

1. applefan macrumors regular

I want to buy an external hard drive to back up files from my pbook, ibook and pc. I am considering a. Lacie D2

Any feedback or recomendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would suggest buying a FireWire/USB 2.0 enclosure and 7200 rpm ATA(/100 or 133) drive to fit in the case.

This way, you get what you want and you learn something about disk drives by putting it all together.

3. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the recommendation bousozoku. That could be a cool project, and probably save me some money too.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Don't buy a no-name or ultra budget box, especialy from a computer show or discount house. It cost us a bundle in lost data in the long run. You get what you pay for. You can loose more than time. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish.

5. ginjg macrumors newbie

I recommend Micronet firewire/usb drives

we have 3 micronet firewire/usb advantage drives - two 120gb and one 100gb and they work great. they're 7200 rpm with oxford bridges. We use them for video and audio with excellent performance. :)

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: I recommend Micronet firewire/usb drives

The D2's drives are hot and would be a great choice, also check out the googie drives http://www.googiedrives.com/twist/

7. Mephisto macrumors member

Yup, enclosure is the way to go, i have a few of them. All together, 4 drives in my box, a single enclosure and 2 dual enclosures...somewhere around 1.4TB in all. Lacie charges like 800.00 for a 500GB ext. drive. You can make one yerself for about 600.00.