looking for free mp3 trimming/editing software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chaseardoin7, Mar 13, 2007.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

so, i have an entire song on my HD in mp3 format. and there is a part of the song that i want to extract. does anyone know of any good free mp3 editing software online that will run on a mac?

-chase:apple:

2. chaseardoin7 thread starter macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No prob; yeah Audacity is great. I've used it plenty of times under Windows, and thought they had an OSX build so I looked for ya. ;)

4. rspeaker macrumors 6502

These threads seem to come up frequently, and I was just curious why Audacity is always recommended, and I rarely if ever see anyone recommend Garageband? I use Garageband to create ringtones, and it works just fine. I'm not being a jerk, I am just curious.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, for me, the reason is that GarageBand is quite large, so it takes longer to load and eats up more system resources (memory and disk space to have it around). For simple tasks like trimming an MP3 Audacity is more than adequate, probably simpler to use, and also faster to get in and out of. I don't even have GarageBand installed on my computer since I don't have any need fo rit and it takes up quite a large amount of disk space when you have all the samples, loops, etc.

6. rspeaker macrumors 6502

That was kind of my guess; when I had my G4 mini, I didn't have it installed for trhat very reason. With my CD iMac though, it's so much faster. But if Audacity is lighter-weight, heck, it might be worth looking into.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It's definitely much lighter weight than GB, and it's a nice app for what it does.

Kind of a pain for iTunes... you have to change the start/stop time of the track and then convert it to another format which introduces some quality loss, then change the start/stop times back to the original setting on the original file. At least that's the only way I can think to do it.

See above. :)

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You should be able to import it as the same format. I use it to make ring tones and it only takes a minute or two.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I use Fission for this purpose. It's not free, but it does avoid the quality loss you would otherwise incur by decompressing the MP3 then converting the decompressed file back into an MP3. :D