looking for G3 iMac or iBook, TiBook or G4 powermac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iArtificialLife, Jan 15, 2005.

1. iArtificialLife macrumors member

Hi Friends. i am looking for a computer. Clamshell iBook or iMac,G4 powermac, or titanum Powerbook. I am looking at $550, but will go up depending on the computer.i do not want to go on ebay and do not want a mac mini. i will PM your posts back. Thank you...... :)

sorry for long title too

2. thecow macrumors 6502

What's wrong with the mini? You will get a lot more power for your money with a mini as opposed to a used mac. For a used mac, $550 will get you a later G3 computer of an early G4 one. The mini will be at least twice as fast as a used mac for that price. You also get a full warranty with a mini.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I second the mini. $500 for the Mini, and then a keyboard and mouse you can pick up for a song. A cheap CRT if you don't have a monitor, and voila! A powerful Mac for less than $750. If that.

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

But you have to get the Moniter, Speakers, Keyboard, and Mouse which will cost at least 1069USD if bought new. Look here.

AppleTalk

A PowerMac will be expandable.

5. carlos700 macrumors regular

Once you purchase the Power Mac G4, the processor upgrade card, Mac OS X Panther or Tiger (because the HD may come empty), a decent graphics card, and iLife '05, you'll be way past the Mac mini 1.42 GHz -plus the cheaper Power Mac G4's come with a 100/133 MHz System Bus whereas the Mac mini comes with the 167 MHz System Bus.

I suggest the 1.42 GHz Mac mini. It comes with newer software, a faster processor/bus, and a better design

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i think your missing the point of the mini mac sjpetry, althought some of the users may not have any of that gear, a great deal will have one or more the items. I mean right now my family has an extra CRT sitting in a closet because they got an LCD and I would guess we're not alone on that one. Appletalk also assumed you'd be buying all of these things new when that doesn't have to be the case.

also the guy said he doesn't like the mini, i don't think its something we can persuade him on but I also don't think he'll be finding those G4 systems for $550 from what i've seen.

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I am not missing the point and remember he doesn't want a mini. :rolleyes:

8. iArtificialLife thread starter macrumors member

look guys... the person i am buying this for just doesn't want a mini. and he understands i probably won't get a G4 for 550.. but i said i will go higher if the computer is decent and for a G4 i will go higher. and the person that i am buying this for it wil be his first own computer....so he has no monitor, no mouse or keyboard, and no speakers.

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Actually, that's Australian dollars. (Note the .com.au) Using my Calculator app, that turns out to be about $766 US, which isn't that bad...

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

And you don't need speakers, the Mini has 'em built in.

Well, I suppose you could TRY to find an old Yikes! model out there, but you really are going to have a tough time with it. Maybe a 700 MHz eMac will work? Or, get the 800 MHz model and over clock it, and search this forum on how to do that.

11. Muskyto3 macrumors regular

if u wanna buy my powermac g4 for 550 shipped ill sell it too u

Its has
    Powermac g4 "gigabit ethernet"
    400mhz
    1.06gb ram
    40gb hard drive
    dvd/cd burner
    zip drive

12. iArtificialLife thread starter macrumors member

13. Muskyto3 macrumors regular

14. Muskyto3 macrumors regular

15. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Have you considered a refurb eMac from the Apple Store? They sometimes have 1ghz eMacs for $550, and that includes a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. You can even stick in a Superdrive if you're not afraid of taking it apart, and you'd be left with quite a computer for just a bit over $600.

16. VegasMac macrumors newbie

VegasMac

Thats a good deal Musky, if i had the dough i would buy it.

17. Muskyto3 macrumors regular

Thanks but this guy has not responded so i guess i aint sellin lol