Looking for good CO-OP multiplayer games that span Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by snaffu, Apr 24, 2005.

1. snaffu macrumors newbie

Hey, I was looking on the inet for some info but thought this would be the best place to get it. My gf has a Mac powerbook and I have a PC (yes, i know, slay me, but it's a laptop for work). I want to introduce her to gaming since I recently moved and I thought this would be a cool way to keep in touch.

Ok, here are my criteria for a game:

1. Obviously the game has to be available for the Mac and PC platforms and has a multiplayer option.

2. I'm looking for a cool RPG game or FPS combination. She's never played a game before so it can't be anything too hard like an RTS or something. An FPS with some type of story line would be perfect (something humourous would be great but it's not a must).

3. HAS TO HAVE CO-OP mode. This is the one reason I rejected KOTOR. It's her first time playing and I want to play along-side her in a story driven campaign... not hunting her down or seeing her get obliterated in a multiplayer bloodbath.

I'd really like to hear from the girl gamers out there. Things like Doom 3 won't go over too well (for now at least -- heck actually Doom 3 scares me). Also, games like Everquest and WoW I rejected just because I don't want to pay online fees if she's not into it.

Sorry ppl. I know that's a tall order but I'm sure some of you have some suggestions! The games I was thinking of are along the lines of KOTOR, Prince of Persia: Sands of time, Diablo with a storyline... I dunno, something along that thinking.

Thanks!
    Snaffu

2. Edot macrumors 6502

Does she like these games?

Does she want to game or are you just making an excuse to find a new gaming partner? ;) I mean if she hasn't played any games you wouldn't think she is going to jump right into a FPS. Anyway, I would think games like airburst or other simpler more relaxing games would be of more interest since she doesn't game already. But what do I know. :) I was going to say WC3, but I guess that is too "hard". Good luck finding a game, and I hope she enjoys it.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The only game that comes to my mind right now is Ghost Recon (FPS). You can complete single-player missions in multiplayer with other ppl. But I dont think it can be played Mac-PC :rolleyes:

5. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

I would recremend World Of Warcraft, Its not an expensive fee and all the fee is really going towards is keeping the servers up and paying for tech support. WoW also has the first month free, just incase she does not like it, but she probably will, alot of people do(over 500k).

~Cheers~

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

7. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

KOTOR is Knights of the old Republic (Star Wars)

8. snaffu thread starter macrumors newbie

>Does she want to game or are you just making an excuse to find a new >gaming partner?

Well, hahaha, not really. I'm perfectly happy gaming by myself and to be honest though i used to spend a lot of time gaming, but i've cut it down to get other things accomplished.

She likes to play scrabble online, but there are seriously WAY better games online than that, as well, I think it would be a really cool experience to game with your partner. Anyway, I'll look into WoW. I was thinking Lord of the Rings, but for some retarded reason, while it has co-op multiplayer, the PC/Mac versions don't allow online play.

Diablo 2 may have to be an option. It was fairly easy to pick up in a game sense. Though i found it gets really tedious after a while.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Don't force a girl to play shooters. That's all I have to say.

Not based on personal experience, but the girls I know always complain about how their boyfriends are playing "crappy" games such as FPSes... I suppose you can try any of Blizzard's many RTSes. Anyways, girls don't seem to like complex games. Some simple online Flash or Java games would probably be much more liked by a female.

10. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

11. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

Perhaps you should try Baulder's Gate or Neverwinter Nights? They both have good stories, though I never really played them online. It could be fun, if you could talk your partner into it.

12. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I second Ghost Recon but I'm not sure about PC-Mac. If it uses gameranger that means no mixed formats I think. In the same boat is Rainbow Six 3.

Battlefield 1942 can also be played in co-op mode. But it is fairly manic.

13. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Close Combat: First to Fight was just released this month and shows promise. The game is a FPS and has most of the things you are looking for plus is cross platform.

http://www.firsttofight.com/

14. frescies macrumors regular

You still must try Myth II. It is the ultimate tactical experience.

15. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Brotha, you are my hero.
    Myth playing times RIP
    1997-2002

~Earendil
    ~Gandalf

16. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Ghost Recon works fine cross platform. You just have to make sure you're running the same updates and mods.

We used to play 3 Macs and 3 Pcs. BTW, my wife enjoys this game a good bit. It's not crazy UT type of stuff. There is a good bit of strategy to it (if played properly).

17. frescies macrumors regular

RIP?!?!?!.... nononono... more like dying painfully...

Bungie... RIP yes...

www.playmyth.net

B E N ~KøM~

18. woxel1 macrumors member

Keeping on the subject of Bungie... Marathon (Aleph One, specifically) has a Co-op mode -- but that's kind of pushing it :rolleyes:

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

or here's a thought: play scrabble online with her instead.

Failing that, getting xboxes and xbox live would let both of you play many more co-op games. Even Doom3 co-op!

20. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Think outside the box... give Second Life a try:

http://secondlife.com/

Not exactly a game, but could be fun to explore with someone. And it does CONTAIN games of different kinds. Browse the site for examples of what has been there--it's very open-ended. And cheap! Under $10, one-time fee. Free trial.

21. snaffu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses!

Hey guys, that I'll check out SL and Myth II is a game i've been wanting to play. THanks for all the suggestions. I don't want to invest in WoW just yet (time more than money actually!!!) thanks for the offer though armoured guitar. I do want to try something that's a little challenging and dynamic than scrabble. You really get a rush in multi-player games playing co-operatively.

I guess I'll keep looking. Ghost Recon may be a little too tough for her.. she's never gamed as such before. But perhaps there's an "easy" setting or something like that.

Snaffu

22. JonMaker macrumors regular

allow me to humbly recommend GLQuake.

• its everyone's favourite game (Quake) with sweet OpenGL graphics.

• its cross platform, and not hardware hungry (60+ fps on imac g4).

• its co-op capable, and is easy but not boring.

23. frescies macrumors regular

Didn't notice the co-op mention. Myth II has epic co-op maps/scenarios

www.playmyth.net

24. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

25. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I second Baldur's Gate (I and II) and Neverwinter Nights, as he wanted some RPG games. I heard NWN is fun in multiplayer.