Looking for good iPod headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacNut, Jan 1, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im trying to find a good pair of iPod headphones, I'm willing to spend $200. Any suggestions. Im looking at the Bose QuietComfort 2 or the Sony Studio Monitor MDR-V700DJ Headphones. Anyone own any of these or have other suggestions.

2. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I tired my friends Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones and they are excellent sound quality, what you would expect from bose.

I have a Bose Acustic Wave Sound System and and one of there home theater system both produce excellent sound. I really trust that bose has excellent sound quality and they are worth the cost. (I know this is somewhat unrelated because this is stereos and not headphones but im just renforcing)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Go for the Bose Triports. The QuietComforts are nice, but they need batteries and you have to turn them on to hear any sound. They are not worth 2 times more than the Triports unless you really need that 10-20% more noise canceling. Other than that, I have noticed that the QuietComforts have marginally better bass response.

4. xfauxsn macrumors newbie

xfauxsn

Not Bose again...

I was looking for a nice pair of headphones before I went away to school. I work for a DJ and we use the Sony MDR-V700's, and I have also used both the Bose QuietComforts and Tri-Ports. The Sony's are very heavy on bass response, and they isolate well. Keep in mind, they are for use in loud environments, hence the bass. It helps a DJ beatmix songs when he's monitoring.

The Bose systems I am not impressed with, as I feel there are better quality headsets for the money you're spending. Yes, the QuietComfort 2 headphones have decent isolation, and the noise canceling is a nice feature.. but it's not really needed. Every pair of Tri-Ports that I have tried, whether it be in a store demo or my friend's own pair, I have not had a good experience with. The sound is tinny, and the build quality feels cheap. I also do not trust a company that doesn't print any audio specifications for thier headphones on their page (www.bose.com).

I recommend checking out Headroom for headphone reviews and price guides. Sennheiser makes some good models, as well as Grado. If you were interested in the Sony's, Pioneer makes a heaphone called the HDJ-1000. Those are the ones I ended up buying (list: $150). They have better quality and range than the Sony's, and are just as durable and comfortable.

Good luck in your search, hope you are satisfied with what you end up buying.

[Edit] Grado's SR-80's are good for the money, and the iPod can power them with no additional amplification. Something to keep in mind :cool:

5. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

not bose or sony

www.gradolabs.com

buy as high up in their line as you can afford. NO REGRETS I promise you. Others will agree.

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i got bought some Shure E2c's for christmas and they are very very nice. i think they cost about £60 over here. i think with your money you may even be able to get the E3c's which are even nicer!

i cant recomend them enough!

other than the Shure's i have heard that senheiser (sorry cant spell it) are very good also and pretty cheap also, they just look a bit boring!

7. stromie952 macrumors regular

Go to http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/ and do some reading

Definitely wouldn't suggest the Bose or the Sony phones.

There are many good choices under a hundred dollars that blow those out of the water when it comes to sounds quality.

I have the Shure e2c earplugs and they are pretty good, extremely portable and can be found for about $60 online.

Good luck!

-Stromie

8. marknicholls macrumors 6502

anyone know if there are any wirless headphones avaliable? i was thinking there could be a small bluetooth or wifi adapter to plug into the ipod? it would make it so much better to use when in the gym

9. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

These wouldn't be the style you're looking for I'd imagine but I got sennheiser 479's. They got pretty awesome reviews everywhere =) and from me!

10. wdogmedia macrumors member

along the same lines.....in-ear n/c earphones?

I've had my Sony V700s for almost two years, best headphones I've ever used in my life....even my audiophile dad grudgingly admits that they're nicer than his $500 Sennheisers.

But as much as I love my Sonys, what I really want is some really nice in-ear headphones that I can stuff into my laptop bag when I'm flying, preferably with either really good isolation or active noise cancellation. Anybody tried Shure e-series? They're supposed to be pretty good.

thx.

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yeh i have some E2c's and they are amazing. takes a while to get used to them in your ear but the sound quality is amazing, not the most bassy of earphones but very clear and crisp. i couldnt recomend them enough.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sennheiser, Shure, and Etymotic--although the latter may be out of reach. It all depends on how good your ears are. Why pay for what you can't hear?

As far as Bose and specifications go, can you hear a graph? :D If it sounds good to you, buy it. Specifications will always be a guideline but they don't tell the whole story. Otherwise, who would buy Macs? ;)

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

My vote is for the bose. They sound great and keep alot of excess noise out, esp if your on a plane. They only bad thing is that once that battery dies so does the music, so u have to keep a spare handy. The battery does last quite a while though.

14. efoto macrumors 68030

Just purchased these for my dad for Xmas. They sound awesome. They are a large set of ear-covering (forget the fancy audio term for that) opposed to on-ear phones. They sound great, but like stated above that if you cannot tell, their lower versions sound great too. I could not go down the line once I heard these though, they sound soooo good.

Bose: A note about them....I read somewhere that only one company advertises as much as Bose, and that is General Motors. A lot of the price in Bose comes from the name, worse than Sony in most cases. They do make a decent product but similar or better quality can be had for less $$$.

Shure: My friend has the e2c pair and they are amazing for in-ear phones. They have "noise-muffling" (not active cancelling) which works quite well considering they are in-ear to begin with. They have decent bass for an in-earphone, and the other frequencies sound great. He wanted the e3c's however he got the 2's online for a sweet deal, around $50 sometime over Xmas break. Both are awesome however, enjoy.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I bought a pair of triports .... they're broke right now, the stem above the earphone broke and I don't think theres anything I can do. They dont' sound all that great, the biggest factor is comfortability. I would read up at headfi, they're like the macrumors of headphones they know the difference between goodstuff and bad stuff. I suggest you avoid bose tho, their speaker quality does not translate into quality for headphones.

17. efoto macrumors 68030

My friend has the older model of this pair. He said they are comfortable (more so than the 20USD Koss set he had for ages from CC. He said the sound is fine, adequate for gaming and general music while computing.

He is heading to London for a school trip and was looking for more portable/better sounding headphones though. He likes those for computer usage (desktop) however he wants something better. I hope that gives you a perspective.

Also, as an open air system, there is no closed enviroment for the sound to resonate (more important for low tones) and therefore these will produce a less full sound than a closed system. The price reflects this also as these are much more price effective than most closed systems.

Edit: Your best bet is to go somewhere you can try some out and listen to what they have. Sennheiser markets the bulk of their phones as a classical-music headphone, however if you bring your own CD or ask for some other forms of music, you can quickly find out they sound quite good on hippity-hop and cowntry as well (assumed, I would personally not listen to cowtunes :p).
    Try them out, buy what feels good and sounds good.

18. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

If they are still in warranty, you should be able to get replacements. This is what happened to me - they are very delicate. I agree they could sound better for the money though.