Looking for good (preferably free) FTP software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipoddin, Jan 24, 2004.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I'm currently using RBrowser Lite and it's UI is absolutely horrid. Any recommendations for a good FTP program (preferably free but I'd pay a nominal fee for a really good program).

thanks.

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

It isn't free, but Transmit is the best $25 dollars you'll ever spend for shareware.

3. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Captian FTP

I like capatin FTP it's not free however there is a 15 day free traial. (thats all I have used) However that is getting old and I would like to Also find a good free program.

You can donload Captain FTP from version tracker. ¡Hope this helps!

-Ted

¡Who! ¿Is this cool or what?

4. machan macrumors regular

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I 2nd Transmit.

Lethal

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I also like Transmit a lot. It's free for awhile, when the trial period expires you are limited to 10 min of use. I'm seriously considering paying for it, and I never thought I'd pay for a shareware program.

7. Santiago macrumors regular

I feel obligated to point out that regular old FTP is in no way a secure service and that someone sniffing the network can steal your password. If it's an FTP-only account, then that's not as bad, but you really shouldn't ever enable the FTP service on a Mac where you allow remote login. Unfortunately, there is no real consensus over a secure FTP variant. (There's SFTP and FTP with kerberos authentication, and GUI wrappers for SCP, which only needs SSH access.) I mostly just use SCP from the command line to transfer files from my PowerBook to my server...

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i've been using cyber duck lately and i like it.

eidt: it's free too!

9. Hoky macrumors newbie

Transmit is great

I echo Phatpat's sentiments. I tried Transmit for a few months, and eventually did pay for it. It is solid and easy to use. Panic makes good software.

I recommend it highly.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're a student, try Fetch. It's free for students.

11. mara macrumors newbie

Fugu

Fugu is my suggestion as well. Much better that CyberDuck which I used before I switched to Fugu.

12. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

If you are ever updating web sites with a remotely complicated file structure, Transmit is 100% the way to go.

The synchronize feature in Transmit is WONDERFUL. It prevents you from being forced to sift through folders to update that ONE file in that folder, then that ONE file in that other folder etc.

Plus it's very fast and intuitive to use. $25 is worth it.

If you don't want to spend $25 on it, don't even download the demo. You probably won't be happy with anything else.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

I third (fourth?) Fugu as currently the best free FTP program (unless you count the command line) for OSX.

That said, I use a paid version of Interarchy for most of my needs. Yes, I realize that most people prefer Transmit (and I like Panic software a lot), but I've been comfortable with Interarchy for years, it's mirror upload seems to work VERY well (the modified file check, even with thousands of files across dozens of embedded directories, only takes a couple of seconds), and I rather like the interface, particularly as of the newest version.

It doens't feel as slick as Transmit, though.

14. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

I just use the built in FTP browser in Macromedia Dreamweaver MX for my website. I occasionaly use RB Browser light when I have to.

What would be cool was if you could connect and put files to a FTP server from a Finder window...

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

SFTP works well for me with Transmit.

16. sethypoo macrumors 68000

So which protocol should someone use if concerned with security?