Looking for Graphics Card reccomendation for Sawtooth G4 running Jaguar....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Classic, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Classic macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2001
    Hi Folks,

My Dad's got a 400MHz Sawtooth. I've been looking over the requirements for Quartz Extreme on Jaguar. From apple's site, it's clear what the requirements are:

Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

Fortunately, the Sawtooth comes with an AGP slot, even if it is only 2X. However, the graphics card currently installed in the computre is an ATI RAGE 128. The 16MB VRAM requirement is filled, however, the GPU is clearly not a RADEON, or any of the nVidia cards specified above.

So, my question is what is the cheapest GPU that is supported by Quartz Extreme and will work with a 2X AGP? I didn't notice any clear documentation on either nVidia or ATI's site that specified that the cards would work in a 2X slot. I am aware that Jaguar will work with or without the upgraded GPU, and that Quartz Extreme is just one feature of Jaguar that will increase the speed. So, I'll install Jaguar either way. I'm just hoping that maybe there's a $100 card out there that will work. Seeing as he's no gamer, he doesn't need the latest and greatest, just something to make the interface snappier.

2. DangerousDan macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm interested in this too. I have a dual 450 with a 2xAGP slot. Push comes to shove I'll go drive the five minutes and saddle up to the Genius Bar. I've heard that some 4x cards will work. Anybody know if this is true?
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I'm in the same boat, I've got a 450 MHz and I've been thinking of doing a cheap upgrade in the CPU and Graphics - but I'll be more interested in something a little more powerful.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Same position here. Im going to buy the Radeon Mac Edition off a friend that is also on Jaguar, he wants a Radeon 9000
  5. dnte42 macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    And another one needs advice. I bought a 733 Quicksilver but had to settle for a GeForce 2 because of a lack of money. Now I want to upgrade in hopes of better performance (in games, mostly). And advice on good prices would be nice too...I haven't found much of any difference between general Mac retailers.
  6. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    The ATI Radeon 9000 will be available soon for about $150. 64 MB, ADC connector, but no TV-Out.

Personally, I like the 8500 (which is actually a little faster). Also 64 MB, TV-Out, already available, drivers that (mostly) work, and can be had for less than $200. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com/ for some good prices.
  7. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    same situation

I've got the same computer (G4 400), I'm going to get the ATI RADEON 9000 Pro. It works in AGP 2x/4x and has the ADC connector and a DVI connector. I'll probably add an Apple Flat Panel Display if/when they update them.