Looking for hope, I find the Ukraine.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 19, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    WashPost Editorial:
    I found this interesting in part because of a potential applicability to Iraq.

I have been advancing the position on this forum, that Iraq may not be ready to implement Democracy, for a variety of reasons, ranging from lack of infrastructure to Cultural History. Still, reading this article, gave me some hope to the possibility of Democracy perhaps ultimately working in Iraq.

While Ukraine is obviously a much different country than Iraq and in many ways in much better shape, there are some tentative comparisons to be made. They both have a divided population and both have a history of being ruled by fiat.

The article is hopeful for Ukraine, not because the results of this Election will be a fabulous success for the Democratic Process - indeed, it may be a horrible failure, but because the division and diversity of opinion of the citizenry make the idea of Democracy and Pluralism very attractive.

I could see this attitude happening in Iraq, under the right circumstances. To a population who will increasingly grow weary of war and destruction, the chance to solve conflict through a political apparatus rather than by violence, may prove popular. It may take a while to get it right, but if the idea gains traction in the minds of the populace, it is likely it will eventually happen.

I have purposely left out any comment(s) about US involvement in this process, as I did not want this thread to be primarily about US mistakes, successes in Iraq. Nevertheless, I suppose you cannot help but involve the US in any at least short-term discussion about Iraq's future.

In any case, I found myself oddly hopeful for the first time in months, although I admit this is based largely on questionable comparisons and opinions regarding both countries.

What say you?

Oh, feel free to discuss the Ukraine too, if you feel so inclined.
  2. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    "That is the kind of language up with which I will not put."

Apart from that, yes, I agree, it just could work. However, it would lead in all probability to endless horse-trading and few resolutions in the Iraqi context.
  3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    It's not "the Ukraine." It's just "Ukraine"! Jeez! How many times to I have to tell you people?