Looking for Mac OSX Server 1.2 (Rhapsody)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by dgsga, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dgsga macrumors newbie

I've trawled the 'net for this for ages but no luck so far. If anyone has a copy or ideas about where I can get a copy it would be very much appreciated. I'd really like to try it out on some old mac hardware. Thanks!

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

Sadly, ebay is the only place left that it pops up on... and as it has become more and more scarce the winning bids have been getting higher and higher. Two or three years ago it would go for about $30-$50 on ebay, but the last few auctions went for around $80.

I actually keep a watch out for any version of Rhapsody to pop up as I am still missing a few items for my collection. I need the Mac OS X Server 1.0 media labeled 1.0 and 1.1 (I have one of the two misprinted 1.1 CDs, but need the correct printing and the other misprint), and I need the Mac OS X Server 1.2 Upgrade CD* (very very rare, very few were made).

If I come across any place (or auctions) for 1.2 or 1.2v3, I'll post a link in this thread for you.

* The Mac OS X Server 1.2 Upgrade CD upgrades Mac OS X Server 1.0.x installations to 1.2... which is sort of pointless. All versions of Mac OS X Server 1.0 (Rhapsody 5.3) can be updated to Mac OS X Server 1.0.2 (Rhapsody 5.5) for free, and should get pretty much the same stability and features as Mac OS X Server 1.2 or 1.2v3 (Rhapsody 5.6). The main reason for wanting either 1.2 or 1.2v3 would be because of their additional hardware support (like for G4 processors). As you can't install any pre-1.2 version on a G4 based system, you don't actually get the G4 support with the 1.2 Upgrade CD.

:rolleyes: ... which maybe why Apple made so few of them.

3. rhapsodyosx macrumors newbie

i second that request!

I've been on a rhapsody quest for quite some time...

you would think an etailer like small dog or another place that sales older versions of OS X would have an old copy of OS X Server... but nope.

4. Nadav35 macrumors member

I am also looking for this Server software

Could you also assist me in trying to find this program also? I am very disappointed to see that one can still get OS 9 and OS 8, but not Mac OS X Server 1.0 or in my case since I have a G4 MDD - Server 1.2!

There has to be some dealer on the net that carries this! Everywhere I went it was: NOT AVAILABLE, SORRY NOT AVAILABLE. But, OS 9 - available?

Did Apple have failure with this program or did they not make enough of them?

If you happen to have any extra copies of server 1.2(green box w/S on it), please let me know. I really want a copy of this! 2000 does not seem that far away from 2008, yet this is so scarce today!

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

I think it has to do with the fact that when it was introduced it was sold as a competing product to AppleShare IP 6.x. Later Mac OS X based versions of Mac OS X Server 10.x replaced both AppleShare IP and Mac OS X Server 1.x in Apple's product line and was Apple's only server solution.

While Mac OS X Server 1.x could do much of what AppleShare IP could, the primary reasons for buying Mac OS X Server 1.x would have been...
    • As a NetBoot server for a number of Macs,
    • QuickTime Streaming server on the net,
    • Web server, and/or
    • WebObjects development/deployment platform.
    And given the fact that most people who serviced Macs (including Apple's own) had no idea how Mac OS X Server 1.x worked well enough to trouble shoot any issues, it was only sold to a small minority of people who needed Apple based server solutions. By contrast, if you were reasonably good at working with Mac OS 8.x/9.x, then you knew quite a bit about taking care of AppleShare IP 6.x without ever having seen the product before.

Actually, you can't run 1.2 (or 1.2v3) on that version of a G4. The last supported model was the Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) (and only one processor is supported in Mac OS X Server 1.x).

I do plan on contacting Apple in the next month or so to see if I can start selling limited copies of Mac OS X Server 1.x. They made a deal like that for selling copies of NEXTSTEP 3.3 and OPENSTEP 4.2 back in 2001 with someone (which I'm also going to approach them about doing as well). I'm hoping for at least selling the stand-alone OS, but it would be nice to be able to include a limited WebObjects development/deployment license too (though I doubt I'd get that as it would compete directly with the current version of Mac OS X Server).

I just have to make sure that I even have the ability to do any of that type of stuff before I ask to do it. :eek:

6. Nadav35 macrumors member

Thank you for responding!!

Racerx,

Ok, here is what I do have. Yes, it is true I am running a G4 MDD 2003 dual 1.25 system, but also I have a Digital Audio G4 and a SAWTOOTH G4 which is where the server would be running off of. Now, here is the next question: I might have gotten in contact with someone who has Mac OS X Server, but its version 1.2 and not v3. Will I still be able to run it off the sawtooth? Forget gigabit ethernet, as I don't have that G4 machine. I have a sawtooth G4. I believe it currently has OS 9.2.2 on it.

Now, for the next question.. if and when I do get from this guy mac os x server 1.2, could you provide for me the V3 update so that I can update the program to support more hardware? Is v3 downloadable? Where can I get it at?

3rdly, I have been to your website.. I also emailed you privately about this as well.. If Apple grants you the rights to duplicate this and provide it for everyone at a price, could you then provide copies of the whole program despite the fact we are now living in the Mac OS X Leopard era? Personally, I don't think 2001 was that long ago, and Apple should not have discontinued this program if they knew 8 years later people would ask about it.

As for rhapsody and openstep? I might be interested in that also, but more so now than ever, I would like the server software v1.2 or more preferrably, server 1.2v3.

4thly: Apple sold awhile back G4 Power macs as servers: What server software was installed on the G4 servers of AGP graphics and Gigabit ethernet? If worse case, I can get a gigabit ethernet machine later on as soon as I start working again.

Also, to contact me about this please email: nadav343@hotmail.com

I am sorry I didn't pick up this package back while I was working at compusa in 1999-2000. I saw the green/blue box with the BIG S, but it was very expensive at the time, esp since I spent 1599 + discounts for the Power Mac G4 350 at the time + OS 9. All of which is long gone now. However, it still lives as I have plenty of OS 9 available.

So, how about it? Can you help me? Is there a way we can keep in touch about this? I am really interested in Rhapsody now that I know what it is. You don't know the nightmare I have been having on trying to find this software!!! Even welovemacs.com didn't know what it was!

Also, do you have original restore/install cd's for G4 sawtooth server models? According to everymac, the server software installed was: 1.2, though it could have been 10.0 or 10.1

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make it so that I am excited about this program, a program which Apple probably thinks is not worth it anymore, BUT TO ME AND YOU as tinkerer's of older hardware, IT IS!

7. Nadav35 macrumors member

Keep in touch with me!

Sorry again for another long post of reply... You must understand the excitement I have for such a program!

Anyway, will you let me know when and if you will be able to sell this? I would be interested. And if you do wind up being allowed to sell it, what would come with it? Could you reproduce the box it came in(just kidding!) - I do have to admit that the blue/greenish box with gears like an S was really cool and still is! What cd's would come with it? You mentioned 4 or 5 cd's, right?

I do plan on contacting Apple in the next month or so to see if I can start selling limited copies of Mac OS X Server 1.x. They made a deal like that for selling copies of NEXTSTEP 3.3 and OPENSTEP 4.2 back in 2001 with someone (which I'm also going to approach them about doing as well). I'm hoping for at least selling the stand-alone OS, but it would be nice to be able to include a limited WebObjects development/deployment license too (though I doubt I'd get that as it would compete directly with the current version of Mac OS X Server).

I just have to make sure that I even have the ability to do any of that type of stuff before I ask to do it.

8. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

What exactly are you planning on doing with this G4 OS X Server setup?

9. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

10. Nadav35 macrumors member

idk what I plan on doing with it.

I haven't decided as of yet what I plan to do with it.. just that I remember this was something I really wanted back 8 years ago.