Looking for More Space

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Espnetboy3, Nov 3, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'm not positive that that will work since it's SATA and, unless you get a controller card, you need an ATA/U-ATA. I'm running on a 300GB Barracuda right now, specifically this one. Works great on my Quicksilver 2002 and managed to snag it for about $120 after rebate.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for the feedback whyren. Anyone else have any suggestions. Do the g5's take the same barracuda's?

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No.

G5's take Serial ATA/SATA

G4s take IDE/UltraATA/Parallel ATA (all names for the same type of interface)

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

So my best bet is to go external because if I spend money on internal now and within a year upgrade to a g5 then they are pointless.

6. macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd go external. You can use it when you get your G5 as well.

7. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Is there any internal HD that will work in both a G4 and G5 Powermac?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

whyren where is the rebate on that barracuda? There is no price listed on the linked site.

9. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No.

G5's take Serial ATA/SATA

G4s take IDE/UltraATA/Parallel ATA (all names for the same type of interface)

(gee, is there an echo in here?) ;)

The only way would be to install a SATA interface card in the G4, like a Firmtek card, and use a SATA drive. Then when you moved to the G5, the SATA card would become redundant.

10. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Another way might be to stick with a PATA drive and use a <$20 PATA-> SATA adapter like http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAtoIDEConverter.asp when moving it to the G5.

Though that seems to create a bottleneck where one is not needed, and the cost differential for SATA vs. PATA is non-existent, so you wouldn't even save much money.

B

11. macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'm not sure that it's active anymore...it was during the summer ('05), but the part of the deal was a Fry's/Outpost.com Weekly Special, so it may show up in there again. Actually, I notice they have a UATA Hitatchi 250 GB for $69.99 after rebate in there right now.

12. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple quite explicitly stated at the launch of the G5's that the G5 was not compatible with PATA-SATA adaptors. I don't know if any manufacturers have gotten around that - the other issue is lack of physical space in the case for extra adaptor(s) hanging off the back of the drive (you'd have to adapt both the power and the data connection.)

13. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

That sucks...gotta start from scratch again when i upgrade.

14. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Why not just get an internal IDE drive now and buy a Firewire or USB 2.0 enclosure for it when you get the G5?