Looking for new A/V Receiver with tons of inputs

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Dec 1, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hello guys.

Not sure if it's the perfect forum for this thread but I'll give it a shot.

The numbers au audio/video devices connected to my home theatre has quickly outgrown my receiver. I originally bought the one I have (Pioneer) because it had 3 component inputs which was the best I could get at the time. Does anybody know if there are now some out there with more?

Ideally, I'd need one with at least 6 Component inputs. Some DVI would also be nice but not a deal breaker.

Inputs Needed (6 HD A/V, 1 A):

• PVR (Component or DVI)
    • DVD Player* (Component or DVI†)
    • Xbox 360 (Component†)
    • Wii (Component)
    • PS3** (Component or DVI†)
    • iTV*** (Component or DVI†)
    • Airport Express† (Optical audio)

HDMI and Component inputs together must total at least 6

**** Upgrading to HDDVD or Bluray once things settle down (1-2 years?)
    **** Will get my hands on this baby after the first price drop
    **** Once it's released. Will iTV renders Airport Express obsolete?
    ** Optical audio in would be nice but not absolutely necessary

I'm not looking for something powerful but something convenient. No preference for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. The more the better but price is also taken into consideration. I'd try to stay under $1,000 but that might be too low for what I want.

Post your suggestions.

Thanks for your input

2. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Here are my options I found so far:

Yamaha
    RX-V2700
    Component in: 3
    HDMI in: 3
    Optical Input: 5
    Price: $1,699.95
    Tech Specs
    Front View
    Rear View

Pioneer
    VSX-82TXS
    Price: $1,200
    Tech Specs
    Front View
    Rear View

Sony
    STR-DA5200ES
    Price: $1,499.95
    Tech Specs
    Front View
    Rear View

Harman/Kardon
    No model with enough inputs

Denon
    Too expensive

Note: There were some higher-end models for some of the above brands with even more inputs put they were more expensive.

Edit: Condensed my posts into this one.

3. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I can vouch for the 2700! It's what I have in my home theater. Excellent receiver!

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

5. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks. How easy is it to switch between devices (input). Can you label them? Does it have a "on-screen" display?

6. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

or you could just put all the inputs through the tv and then your receiver only needs the input from the tv. I would think that would be a much cheaper way... unless you have some good speakers that require some hefty power, forcing you to buy such a beefy receiver. Maybe I'm missing something though...

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

:eek:

You lucky dog.

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add.

8. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

There is no way I can plug all this into my TV. ^_^ Plus i would lose surround and optical audio.

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

10. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

sorry, many of the big fancy crazy expensive tvs have something like 12 video inputs and stuff. I figured with all that stuff (!! congrats by the way!) you would have one of those. I always go the cheap route. You could build (or buy) a couple switches.

p.s. I have no idea how surround sound is passed. I'm strictly a two channel guy.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

[​IMG]

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, I was gonna recommend just doing that. It's how I've got everything set up: Inputs to TV then TV to DVD/receiver. But you would lose the surround on everything.

Dolby Pro Logic II forever. :)

13. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I have one of those Sony 30" Widescreen Flat Tube HDTV. Can't remember the exact model. It was not a Wega one. It's 2 years old. It only has 2 component and one HDMI input.

The beast is huge and weights a ton but it displayed a much nicer image than flatscreen could when I purchased it.

I have a pretty small living room so I can go much larger than 30'.

I plan on changing it for a flat one in a year or 2 to free some space.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have never seen an AV receiver with more than 3 component inputs... and I've looked, believe me.

If you want to add more component inputs to your system, I suggest the Zektor HDS 4.1 switch box. It has four component inputs (plus TOSLINK and coaxial digital audio) and one set of outputs. It's fully remote-controllable, so you can add four inputs to your existing system with no problems. Best of all, it automagically converts TOSLINK audio to coaxial digital audio and vice versa. It's only $259. I bought one a month ago (my AV receiver only has 2 component inputs), and this thing has added years to the useful lifetime of my receiver.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Have I ever told you that I hate you? :p

16. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Same here. I was planning to use a combo of component and HDMI ports to supplement the HD A/V 6 inpits i need. I thought about adding a switchbox but I really don't feel like adding a 5th remote controller to my stack ^_^ (I guess I should have a look at some universal remote controllers) I'd like to go for a simple all-in-one solution. Thanks for the ideas though. Keep 'em coming. (Love your new avatar)

Edit: I just had a look at the link you provided. Nice product. I'll definitly keep that as an option.

17. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

on the subject of toslink and coax digital audio... coax will give you better quality. unless maybe if you buy a really nice optical cable... most are made with cheap optics and there is a deal of loss during transmission. coax will be cheaper.

18. aj98 macrumors member

First question is how many of those various inputs already exist on your TV?

I ask that b/c it may be possible to route part of the video to the various TV inputs, part to the receiver inputs, then route ALL the audio through the receiver.

I have 2x Sony STR-DG800s.
    110w, 7.1 surround, Dolby5.1, DTS, prologic, prologic II, neo6, and a bunch of other modes.

Most of the inputs/outputs are programmable/reassignable, and renamable.
    (For example, I have renamed the "MD/TAPE" input to PLYSTN2.)

It supports 4 optical ins, 2 HDMI ins (SAT, DVD), 2 component in, 1 component out, 1 HDMI out, and 5 more standard RCA Ins - and I think it has an SVIDEO out for good measure.
    Also 4 optical in and 1 or 2 optical outs
    1 digital coax in.

Plus standard connections for CD, Tape, and VCR in/out

The TV supports 2 HDMI in, 2 Component in, 1 optical in, 1 optical out, and 2 or 3 more standard RCA or SVideo ins.

I have 2 VCRs, DVD, PS2, HD SAT.
    PS2 is component video to the TV, audio over fiber to the amp.
    DVD is component to the TV, optical to the amp.
    Sat is HDMI to the amp
    All others are SVideo to the amp, out over HDMI.

The other receiver connects HDMI DVR, component DVD, 2xVCRs, HD SAT, CD player to a single HDMI in, 2xcomponent video in, 6x standard RCA in TV.

In both cases, 1/2 the devices are connected to the TV, the other 1/2 to the receiver, but all are connected to the receiver for audio purposes.

The receiver is 319-399, depending on where you get it.
    I will admit firguring out HOW to reprogram and redirect the in/outputs can be a bear, but once you relize how it works, it's easy.

Anyway, if you can wire a couple of things directly to the TV instead of routing through the receiver, then you can keep the cost of your receiver down.

19. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Yeah the remote has all the different inputs and they're all assignable via an onscreen menu.