Looking for other bands like Dethklok... Help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattSepeta, May 18, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I normally don't like metal that much, but something about dethklok just really does it for me. I am looking to find more band that sound similar.

Things I like about them:

-Basic sounding guitar, just super heavy and constant
    -You can actually understand his voice in most of the songs, and he is not growling like a moron
    -Really consistent drum lines

And if anyone is not familiar with dethklok but is a metal afficionado, maybe check out the songs "thunderhorse" and "mermaider" by dethklok, those are probably my favorite.

2. macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

There's a smaller band called Kevorkian that were around 3-4 years ago, they weren't signed at the time but I'm interested to see if their MySpace is still up. They sounded very much like Dethlok.

3. macrumors 65816

Strapping Young Lad
    Death
    Meshuggah
    Vader

Also check out Opeth for something a bit different.

4. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

metal-archives.com

Strapping young lad is a good fit for this (to above poster).

However, from what I've heard, melo-death is even a stretch for that stuff. As metal, it's not very good (IMNSHO).

5. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Obituary, newer stuff
    Death
    Six Feet Under
    Amon Amarth
    Decapitated
    Epidemic
    Gojira
    Strapping Young Lad
    Fear Factory
    Lamb of God
    Morbid Angel
    Paradise Lost (Some of the older stuff)
    Slayer
    Opeth
    Arkaea (might be a little lighter music wise)
    Treat Signal
    Carcass (Heartwork)
    Chimaira
    Devil Driver
    Divine Heresy
    God Forbid
    Gorefest
    Grave
    mushroom head
    slipknot
    Isis (Very Opeth like IMHO)
    Killswitch Engaged
    Sepultura
    Soulfly
    Testament (Demonic, Low)

That should get you started and I am sure others will chime in!

6. macrumors 6502a

quantum003

That's funny, Dethklok the band is basically an amalgamation and homage to metal in general... if you watch the cartoon you will see name dropping and references to all sorts of different types of extreme metal bands in backgrounds and names of characters/locations... You might try Slayer if you're really into Dethklok, they're pretty darn similar; only Slayer is much much better... but they've got the awesome chugga chugga drum/bass sound and the screaming, insane guitar solos, and the lead singer doesn't "growl like a moron" :D

But as others have already said, Death is pretty much the best Metal band ever, so if you can stomach the moron-growling you'll find yourself one hell of a great band with one hell of a unique sound to explore...

7. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

That's not music. That's just noise.

8. macrumors 65816

Death doesn't have cookie monster vocals though. I would say Chuck's vocals (particularly on the later albums) were more like an extreme version of Martin Walkyier in Sabbat. Fit the music perfectly IMO.

BTW I forgot to mention that Strapping Young Lad and Dethklok have the same drummer (Gene Hoglan). He also played with Death for a while actually.

9. macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Mastodon might be worth a look

10. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Gene has played drums for everyone :D

11. macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I actually saw Mastodon (and Converge) opening for Dethklok in concert earlier this year. So Converge and Mastodon were brain-meltingly fantastic, and then out comes Dethklok... the lead singer of Dethklok (who does all the voices for all the characters himself) comes out and he's fat, pony-tailed and totally full of himself (NOT metal ;))... his bandmates are all old, fat studio musicians... throughout the whole show the lead singer was tossing canned stage dialogue back and forth with the cartoon characters via a screen projection... it was so DISNEYLAND and nauseatingly over-polished and blech that I was actually embarrassed for Converge and Mastodon to have put on such incredible, gripping, and authentic presentations... only to be opening for Beavis and Butthead on a projection screen and a fat rich guy doing squeaky voices. I dunno. I love Metalocalypse but I did not in any way enjoy the Dethklok live performance.

12. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Did you really need to post here... please move along and stay out if you don't like it.

Isn't that the truth......

Dark Angel, Death, Testament, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Meldrum, Opeth, Unearth, Zimmers Hole, Pitch Black Forecast, Dethklok, Forbidden, Pitch Black Forecast, Phantasm, to name a few.......... (Quoted from Wiki!)

13. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Also, if you want death metal without constant growls (I'm not huge on death metal myself), Psycroptic is a good choice, particularly Scepter of the Ancients.

14. macrumors newbie

unforgiven

paths of possession

monstrosity

cannibal corpse

are the closest band to dethklok ive heard

15. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I also dig the series, but for the over-the-top comedic aspect!

Dethklok sound in the cartoon is based on "Melodic Death Metal" so just look in that category in youtube and you will find a bunch that sound just like them.

Here is a list of bands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_melodic_death_metal_bands