Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidhood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Anyone come across a fast PDF reader with a good interface?
---------------------------------------------------------
Ibooks seems to have the best interface, but the PDF reader is not the quickest in rendering.

Readdledocs and Goodreader don't show thumbnails (GR with show them one at a time) of the PDF books and magazines. DocAS has a good interface but the retina update is taking forever, and at this point the PDF rendering is not up to competitive standards.

It pretty clear that most of the interfaces are designed by engineers and programmers because most of them are very poor in the human-interface/usability aspect. Apple has tossed out some nice interfaces with Ibooks and Photo and it seems like instead of using those product designs as a foundation to build on, most of the developers have shifted gears and went in reverse to create confusing and odd interfaces.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I like iAnnotate and PDF Expert. These days, I slightly prefer the former because it's much faster to scroll through documents in iAnnotate.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009
Anyone come across a fast PDF reader with a good interface?
---------------------------------------------------------
Ibooks seems to have the best interface, but the PDF reader is not the quickest in rendering.

Readdledocs and Goodreader don't show thumbnails (GR with show them one at a time) of the PDF books and magazines. DocAS has a good interface but the retina update is taking forever, and at this point the PDF rendering is not up to competitive standards.

It pretty clear that most of the interfaces are designed by engineers and programmers because most of them are very poor in the human-interface/usability aspect. Apple has tossed out some nice interfaces with Ibooks and Photo and it seems like instead of using those product designs as a foundation to build on, most of the developers have shifted gears and went in reverse to create confusing and odd interfaces.

We've added Thumbnails support in PDF Expert. So you might have a look at it http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

davidhood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
PDFpen for iPad has thumbnails...it's on sale until May 1st.

Thank you for the tip, but at $10 and no trial version, I think I'll pass. It may be a great product, but if the developer doesn't have enough confidence to offer a trial versionI feel like I should be wary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.