Looking for skilled Java programer

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgiddy911, Feb 26, 2004.

1. mgiddy911 macrumors member

Hello, I am in search of a skilled Java programer. Please email me if you would consider yourself one.
    I am writing a basic textbased adventure/rpg game in Java
    I am having a problem with Java's lack of a common goto function, email me for more information.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you need a goto, you should choose a different direction. :(

3. mgiddy911 thread starter macrumors member

my email is maxgrady12@yahoo.com

i want to use Java mainly beacuse it is the only programing language I am skilled in, i have taken a class on the java language and completed a book on it, I do not want to begin to learn another language just for this lil project.

I also want to find out if theres a way around this problem for future reference

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yeap.

There is no "goto" for good reasons!!!

5. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Java really isn't a "different" language, it's very very similar to C++, well at least in syntax. Try programming in FORTRAN or Pascal, etc. and then you can complain about learning a new programming language. :p

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Do you know about methods? How about using a method instead of goto?

7. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Methods are the solution to everything in Java.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I mean this in the nicest way possible but... if after completing a class on Java and completing a book on it you can't figure out how to get around your goto "problem" you should retake the class and reread the book or get new materials.

Also if Java is the only language you know where in the world did you get the idea of using a goto in the first place? The last language I used that had goto's was C64 Basic... granted I think I was like... 10 years old at the time... but still.

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Yes, yes they are.

On a sidenote, if you "know" Java but don't know how to use a method effectively, you don't know Java.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've known many people who thought they knew C++ and were merely coding C and putting a .cpp on the end of the file name. ;)

Actually, Java does have an unconditional branch like a goto in Pascal or C but the only real use I've seen for any of them is in computer language compilers.

I always suggest a while loop and a set of nested if statements instead of a goto in a more simple application. (Practically anything is more simple than a compiler.)

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Dammit! I've fixed their code before. I've seen more frightening things though. I've seen people who write fotranesque code in C

How would you replace a calculated goto :)

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Ctrl-Atl-Del

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Why not use a switch/case to handle that?

Besides, programmers who solely use BASIC tend to melt down far sooner than most due to the unpredictable nature of the language.

With all these interesting application designs out there, maybe I should re-work my language translation into an application re-design/re-structuring facility. :D

14. mgiddy911 thread starter macrumors member

sorry for the confusion

I was in the process of writting text-based game in Java.
    I know how to use methods, and I know there is no goto in Java but I was looking for someone that might have a method solution to it. I have not been able to write one that works myself.
    But anyway, i found a different language dedicated to writting text adventures, its called TADS, Text Adventure Development System. It is completely free and runs on just about every system out there.

By the way, I am only a teeneager, and am still in the process of building my programming skills for my later life so, If I seemed naive earlier I am sorry.

I am also looking for suggestions for what kind of jobs to look into , in the computer field, I am most likely going to major in computer science in college. I just do not really know where to go from there, or what classes to take in college. The AI courses seemed quite interesting to me...

15. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Keep it up mgiddy, and congratulations for trying to push past your own boundaries. I'm not a teenager (but I feel like one in my heart most of the time!) and I started right where you are: text adventures.

Currently I code in: Obj-C using the Cocoa api, Perl, PHP. The greatest thing is that I can actually produce useful, efficient code. When I started, it felt like I'd never be able to do that.

Good luck and take it one step at a time,
    Logicat

16. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'm a CS major myself in college, and I'm really liking the classes, even though they're hard. It definitely takes a dedicated person to major in this area. Good luck!