Looking for small portable scanner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skp574, Jun 21, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

I have been looking around for a small portable (preferably colour) scanner.

I would like to scan documents to archive them.

I have looked at the Visioneer Strobe scanners but they are not Mac compatible, as they would be perfect for me.

Ideally I do not want it to be a flatbed and don't want to spend a fortune on it. USB powered would be nice but not a necessity.

Anyone got any ideas.

Cheers.

2. keithpetey macrumors member

3. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice but not really what I'm looking for. It'll take an age to scan a whole page.

I'm looking for something like a PaperPort(?) that has a sheet feeder. Something that looks like a laminator.

Like this:

[​IMG]

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I just bought a Canon Lide-35 which is USB-powered. It doesn't have as small a footprint as the laminator but it can sit/scan full pages vertically so it doesn't take up too much room and it's pretty light should you want to carry it around. They're £49 at the Apple Store or in John Lewis Oxford St (thanks to never knowingly undersold). I've only used it for a week or so but it seems to work fine with Tiger and the OCR isn't bad either.

Canon Lide 35

5. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yer, I did look at the Canon scanners. They are thin. I'd really like something like the Visioneer so I can drop it in my laptop bag when I am on the move.