looking for software to convert picture to black and white

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bryantm3, Jul 31, 2006.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

i don't mean greyscale- i mean just black and white. just some free software. my mac is updated- i'm running 10.4.7.

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Why not do it in gresyscale right in iPhoto and knock the contrast up, effectively making it black and white?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's effectively a threshold conversion to B&W. Remove color by turning the saturation down, then up the contrast.

There are other forms of strict 2 bit black and white, like diffusion or pattern dithering that are made up of dots like halftones. Do you know what you want?

B

4. howesey macrumors 6502a

Install developer tools off your O X DVD and run Core Image Fun House.

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

I'd suggest ToyViewer. It is a great app. I make tons of use of it in NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and Mac OS X. I did a quick intro page on it for the Mac OS X version (here) and there is an online manual to help find out about the features (here).

And its free! :D

I've attached an example of what you are talking about doing. ToyViewer creates a new image window with each modification, and the bottom two windows are two different contrast levels taken from the middle window. The top window is the original image.

Attached Files: