Looking for some RAM advice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cold_Steel, May 4, 2005.

1. Cold_Steel macrumors member

Hey all,

This is my first post here and i have to say that these forums seem pretty cool and you all seem to know your stuff!

Got a RAM question. My dad has just bought a new G5 Dual 2.3 PowerMac and wants to upgrade his RAM but doesnt want to pay the high prices of the Apple 'branded' RAm. So can he use other RAM such as Crucial or Kingston and can he use 1GB modules or does it have to be in 512mb and 256mb forms?

Thanks for any help guys,

Matt

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Here in the UK we don't have the range of prices and suppliers that they have in the US.

I've always used www.crucial.com/uk for my RAM at home and at work for a number of reasons. I like the fast shipping, lifetime guarantee, the RAM selector... the price is also much better than Apple's and places like MicroAnvika. Simply put, not one problem once with Crucial RAM.

Someone reported here recently that the 512mb modules were extremely good value but they found a bettter price elsewhere on the 1gb modules but exactly where escapes me at the moment.

It has to go in in matched pairs, arranged symmetrically.
    4 x 512mb will add 2gb to whatever is there at the moment and will provide an immediate and noticeable improvement.

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

Also, RAM prices fluctuate daily. In the past week the price for a 1 gig stick from crucial has ranged from $130 to $150 USD. I wish I had picked 'em up at $130 when I saw it. Oh well.