Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sioannou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Nicosia Cyprus
Although I am not a website designer, I've designed this website and I wanted some feedback from the more experienced ones !

My site is

http://www.cityonrails.com

I know it's not still ready as there are still some fixes I need to make like the color of fonts in the footer and the search box style but you can still understand the basic concept !

Thanks folks

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Well, it's certainly minimalist. :p

This looks more like a wireframe than a design, in the sense there is no styling involved beyond colored boxes of varying sizes and positions. I know all content is placeholder so I won't go there!

Things to consider in design and layout:

• Work with a grid to establish uniform padding, margin and guttering for all elements so everything is properly aligned
  • Add more padding in right well blocks
  • Hope you plan on using a graphic embedded in the header area
  • Footer can be small like you did it, but make it bigger and show all menu items if you later add a menu at the top with pulldown sub-menus or whatever.
  • Maybe move search element to top right for higher visibility and more room for important content in right well
  • Not a big fan of the #D35322 (reddish) color on that navy blue background in the right well blocks (twitter). Matter of fact the navy blue color should only be in the header of each block (block title), the content area of each block should be a light color although you can get creative and not have to use white. If the navy blue is in the block header only, your site then seems consistent in design.

I haven't seen dashes used as a horizontal rule in ages, but I'll chalk it up to a design choice.

So in a nutshell, need more flair and originality, keep blocks in right well more consistent in design, set uniform padding and margins based on a grid. This response is only about layout/design, not content or if this design is appropriate for the type of web site it is or what you do. I'll leave that to others.

:cool:

sioannou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Nicosia Cyprus
Well, it's certainly minimalist. :p

This looks more like a wireframe than a design, in the sense there is no styling involved beyond colored boxes of varying sizes and positions. I know all content is placeholder so I won't go there!

Things to consider in design and layout:

• Work with a grid to establish uniform padding, margin and guttering for all elements so everything is properly aligned
  • Add more padding in right well blocks
  • Hope you plan on using a graphic embedded in the header area
  • Footer can be small like you did it, but make it bigger and show all menu items if you later add a menu at the top with pulldown sub-menus or whatever.
  • Maybe move search element to top right for higher visibility and more room for important content in right well
  • Not a big fan of the #D35322 (reddish) color on that navy blue background in the right well blocks (twitter). Matter of fact the navy blue color should only be in the header of each block (block title), the content area of each block should be a light color although you can get creative and not have to use white. If the navy blue is in the block header only, your site then seems consistent in design.

I haven't seen dashes used as a horizontal rule in ages, but I'll chalk it up to a design choice.

So in a nutshell, need more flair and originality, keep blocks in right well more consistent in design, set uniform padding and margins based on a grid. This response is only about layout/design, not content or if this design is appropriate for the type of web site it is or what you do. I'll leave that to others.

:cool:

Thanks for the very important feedback :) When I've started to design the website I've had in mind to keep it as simple(minimalistic) as possible but at the same time do something original. Actually I am already using a grid (960 by Nathan Smith) and I will fix the consistency of the elements. Please if you have anything else to add I will be glad :)

Davis Lee

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
Website improvement tips.

I think your website has still lots of issues to be resolved, amongst others you must never forget to get your site optimized for the major Search Engines.

Website Design and SEO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.