Looking for something nice to keep on the go...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMacZealot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm a film editor and avid traveller (just came back from a two week trip to southeast Asia) and I was thinking, "I should probably get some sort of PDA/tablet to use on the go." I've thought about getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but I just bought my iMac here and I don't have a lot of money right now. I do have a few old Palm Zires, but they're all dried up. Something with wi-fi would be nice, but not necessary. I don't necessarily need to edit on the go, either, but I do want to be able to make notes and stuff. Any suggestions?

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

How about Palm TX or Life Drive? I have both; Life Drive is a little slow and I don't like slow machines; so I assigned it for the TomTom in-car navigation duties while I use TX for daily use of PDA functions. I also use a few notebooks at the same time on the road (usually Dell and iBook). TX has BT and WiFi pre-installed within its unit.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Pick up an old 12" PowerBook, you should be able to get one cheap. :)

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Look into a used iBook or 12 inch PB. They are both going for cheap now that the intel books have been released. There are quite a few in our very own Marketplace right now.

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerBook...8QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think of that? I'd love to get a laptop, especially an Apple, but I don't have a ton of money. This is well within my range, but I'm not sure if I should a new camera instead. Right now, I'm using a two year old Canon ZR80 and it works fine, but I wonder if I should get something better as I've already produced commercial work.