Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gravityplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hey all,

I am planning to buy a 12" powerbook after the next update and am trying to decide if the superdrive is worth the extra 200$. They are still so slow (2x, right?) and will come down in price eventually. My question is does anyone have any insight here on the timeframe for seeing better/faster/cheaper aftermarket Superdrives? Do you think they'll get as fast as the current CD burners? I don't need to burn dvds but if I had the drive I probably would, and it would be a nice little addition to my little supercomputer :) but 2x speed sounds like kind of a drag. How long does it take to make a dvd?

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
gravityplan said:
Hey all,

I am planning to buy a 12" powerbook after the next update and am trying to decide if the superdrive is worth the extra 200$. They are still so slow (2x, right?) and will come down in price eventually. My question is does anyone have any insight here on the timeframe for seeing better/faster/cheaper aftermarket Superdrives? Do you think they'll get as fast as the current CD burners? I don't need to burn dvds but if I had the drive I probably would, and it would be a nice little addition to my little supercomputer :) but 2x speed sounds like kind of a drag. How long does it take to make a dvd?

this my advice and what i do

1) upgrade ram
2) upgrade HD
3) upgrade display
4) upgrade CD-drive

thats what i would upgrade in that order

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.