Looking for that screen pixel measuring tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mainstreetmark, Dec 23, 2004.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    At one point in my past, I came across some sort of tool that you could run, which allowed you to basically measure whatever happens to be on your screen, such as the size of a graphic you happened to be looking at. I'm doing that now to a PDF, and am taking screenshots and pasting them into Photoshop.

There was definitely an easier tool for this, but I can't remember the name, and Google isn't helping me (!!)
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This might be overkill, but how about... http://www.kotarac.freeuk.com/ruler/index.html

Or else it couldn't take more than 30 minutes to write this in XCode. ;)
  3. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
  4. YANOUSHek macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2011
    PixFit - measuring tool

Hi guys,

if you need a measuring tool for Mac OS X please take a look at http://pixf.it. It's an app that I've created a little while back for my own purposes and I've uploaded it to the App Store so it may help other people out.

It's a lot better than any other "on screen ruler" as it analyzes the contents of your screen to automatically find edges of objects. It works kind of "magical" and does it job amazingly good. There's a couple of different options for measuring anything on the screen:
    1. You can click inside an object and PixFit will find it's edge in all 4 directions.
    2. You can drag around an object (which doesn't need to have straight edges) and PixFit will "shrink" your selection to perfectly fit the object (it can measure blocks of text).
    3. Version 1.1 is waiting for it's review where you'll be able to hold shift while dragging to measure your selection. You'll also be able to move and resize the selection using either your mouse or keyboard.

After making a measure you can copy the dimensions in a couple of different formats to your clipboard and paste them into your text editor. I have to work with CSS all the time so I just setup my PixFit to copy in

height: Xpx;
    width: Ypx;

format and I'm always ready to work in my MacVim. Please have a look at the app. If you feel like there's something missing in it please write me a message and I'll try to meet your needs :)

Also PixFit is continuously being developed and there are a lot of features planned for it in the near future.