Looking for the right girl?

Discussion in 'Community' started by absolut_mac, Jan 10, 2005.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Okay guys, don't tell me that I'm the only chess fan here on MR who also happens to be a computer geek.

Anyway, I always see these threads pop up every now and then - guys complaining about not being able to meet girls or how to break the ice with them etc, and occasionally vice versa too.

Here's your answer..... PLAY CHESS!

Sharpen your mind and get to meet intelligent and attractive members of the opposite sex at the same time too. What a winning combination :D

Of course it goes without saying that those with big egos need not apply.

Why?

Because those with oversized or overly sensitive egos will get theirs deflated very quickly when they find themselves being ruthlessly crushed on the board by attractive young females, as in this recently played game posted below. For those chess fans who would like to view the game in full, just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the appropriate link.

Anyone for some chess?

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2046

Attached Files:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And you get to practise your opening lines... even your gambits too.

I like chess: not fanatically & obsessively but still enjoy it... having played it for a while though.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i think most guys would be threatened by girls who are more intelligent than they are haha

4. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Touché.

To my detriment I found out that chess is not a game, it's an obsession :eek:

5. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Even by this attractive young lady from Belarus?

I think that most guys would be only to happy to be beaten by somebody like her, don't you? Even in chess as well!?!?!

And for those of you that are up to the task, this is the place to start....

http://www.chessbase.com/

Attached Files:

6. iGav macrumors G3

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... fantastic! :p

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think most guys are threatened by other guys who are more intelligent than they are. In fact, we're pretty frail as a group, in terms of egos.

I've never been a huge chess player, but I enjoy an occasional game. Perhaps as my kids get older we'll get into it more often as a family thing.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've often wished I could play a good game of chess, but, sadly, the one game I remember winning was when I was, oh, maybe 11 and my brother was 5 and I told him how to move. Yeah, I think I won that one. Handily, too. Only a few moves. And I still feel guilty about it. Perhaps because he brings it up every year or so....

Anyway, I think I'm lacking the chess gene. I'm quite good at IQ-test-type puzzles. I think I'm generally pretty bright. But I just can't play chess. I'm pretty sure I'd lose to even a moderately-trained lab rat, especially if there was a cheese reward for winning.

So... oddly enough, were I on the market, I'd go to these tournaments, knowing that my ego would not be crushed by losing to a woman (or man, or rodent), since that was inevitable. I could just enjoy myself.

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

10. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

for every 16 points that a womans IQ goes up, the likelyhood she will marry goes down by 40%

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I assume that's because she's increasingly likely to realize how much more a man gets out of marriage than a woman.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

So by the time a woman has a relatively high IQ of 144, her likelihood of marriage is only about 1%. Assuming that at 0 IQ, she has a 100% chance of marriage.

Or, if you assume that the base IQ is 80, there would be a 13% chance of marriage at an IQ of 144. That seems pretty low.

Of course, I guess the smarter a woman is, the more likely she is to see through all of our (men's) crap...

14. sgarringer macrumors regular

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I would say higher chance that she end up with me :cool:

16. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

So *poor* Kateryna Lahno, who is now only 12 years old, is going to end up as a single old spinster?

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1516

I honestly don't think so :D

17. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Now that's a really silly thing to say.

The highest rated woman in the world, Judit Polgar who is rated number 9 in the world, and is the only woman to beat Garry Kasparov, is definitely no lesbian, and neither is her sister Susan Polgar who is married with two children.

Trust me, there's absolutely no way that you get an FIDE rating above 2500 with an IQ under 130!!!

Here's a pic of her with some of her more important games. By the way, Judit never plays in womens tournaments, she obviously likes to play with the big boys ;)

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=12190

And her sister just helped the USA win it's first chess Olympiad medal ever. Not bad for someone who just had a 7 year hiatus from tournaments in order to spend more time with her family.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2071

Ain't chess grand? It's the real equalizer, isn't it???

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

a. these are not overly attractive girls
    b. they are for the most part easter european <-- being polish myself i can tell you that's bad news -- run, run like the wind
    c. they look like overly uptight girls --- you're not getting through that panty forcefield

3 strikes as far as i'm concerned

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My school's chess club is uh, well. More a hangout for guys who like to curse at their oppenent due to the moves they made. A couple of girls but that didn't last long. Neither did the club, as it happens.

20. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Maybe the girls would have hung around if the atmosphere had been a little more civil. No doubt your club probably would have still been around too.

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

this thread made me wanna play some chess, so i did. my mac beat me in like 10 moves... :eek:

22. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

That's when you're kind of sorry that you got that 2.5G Dual G5 huh? You would have had a better chance against the eMac :)

23. The Past macrumors 6502

LOL!!

24. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

I gave up looking for girls in chess. All guys signed up for chess club when I was back in school.

25. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

hahaha