Looking for the right LCD for me...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brian Haworth, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Brian Haworth macrumors member

I'm looking to upgrade my aging 17" CRT to a 17" LCD, and I want to spend $250 or less. What's the best flat panel display I can get for that value?

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I am in the same situation you are and the onyl decent lcds I have found for that price is 15"(europe sucks for electronics).

3. Brian Haworth thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure I need an LCD, but I recently came into a small amount of cash, and my father thinks I should get an LCD 'cause they're nice and would give me a lot more desk space.
    For a while I had two CRTs connected to my computer, but one died... should I replace it and maybe get a second video card so my VRAM won't be split? I currently have an AGP Radeon 7500.

I don't really know. I guess I'm just asking for ideas.

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

CRTs arent all that bad, I actually like them because they are brighter, I had the same graphics card you did uptill 2 months ago. The 7500 is really aging. I recomend you buy a graphics card, with $250 you could get a really good card like the ati radeon 9800 or 9600pro and you still have money left over. I say go for the graphics card!

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I just got my father in law a 17" YuSmart LCD with built in speakers to go with his new Mac mini... I didn't have the highest expectations as it was the cheapest LCD in the store, and the clerk didn't even know anything about it. But he looked up the specs and said, a bit puzzled, that it seemed like a better screen than the Samsung I had as first choice...

I was really shocked when hoooking it up to the mini... it looked a bit blurred, but when I changed the mini to the YuSmart's native resolution, 1280x1024 it was really crisp and looked great...

UK Link

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I've been trying to decide for a while now, but I'm going to go with a bigger 20 inch LCD. In the past someone recomended this Acer LCD. It has awesome specs: Brightness: 300 cd/m2, Contrast Ratio: 500:1, Response Time: 12 ms, and it's both DVI and annalog. It seems like a great value to me.