looking for USB 2.0 card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tjassen, May 1, 2005.

1. tjassen macrumors newbie

hi.
    I need more USB ports on my G4, and figured this is as good a time as any to add some USB 2.0. Is there any way to tell if a card is supported on a Mac? Or can anyone suggest some brands that are? I live in Israel, so my options, especially for low cost stores, are limited.

Also, same question but for printers. I basically need a simple laser printer.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Hi. This is a tricky one, laden with compatibility issues!

Basically you can get away with cheap no-name USB2 PCI cards for the Mac, but make sure they use an NEC chipset for less hassle. Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com for reports of which cards work.

Unfortunately I've not come across any that support deep sleep if you have any unpowered USB devices attached. For example if I leave my USB2 memory card reader attached, even if no cards are mounted, then the Mac freezes and requires a hard reboot. My printer doesn't cause a problem though.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

4. Bear macrumors G3

I am currently using an Adaptec USB 2.0 card and it works. (Under 10.3.x and should be no issue in Tiger.)

IOGear and Orange Micro cards also work. In truth any card that followed the USB 2.0 specs should work just fine.

I got the Adaptec card when it was on sale at CompUseless.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I too use this card and no problems on my PM running Panther. No installation of software was necessary either. Got mine at Best Buy.