Looking for USB handset for use with Skype

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by floatingzen, Oct 30, 2005.

1. floatingzen macrumors newbie

Hi: I am looking for recommendation for a USB handset for use with Skype. I have a Mac Mini and hence cannot use a audio headset as the Mac Mini does not have a Mic nor a audio in.

I have seen many USB handset being advertised on the Net. Problem is, no-one can confirm if it can be used on a Mac.

Does anyone have personal experience with a USB handset for use with Skype? Do I need any software drivers? Better yet, does anyone have experience with a Skype Gateway...a gateway with 2 ports, one for normal telephone socket and one for USB. In this manner, I can use the same handset to handle both normal telephone calls as well as Skype calls.

Thanks in advance.

2. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

3. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Logitech make some good ones and just mic's i used a Labtech mic on my PC.

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

my roommate has a platronics headset that is usb. that should work.

5. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

if anyone in here is looking for a PC solution for skype that doesn't require usb headset but just uses a normal phone... I've used Yapperbox before and it's pretty neato.

www.yappernut.com

6. floatingzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked at Yappernut and I must say this is cool and exactly what I need! The problem is still there...it doesn't work with the Mac!

I'm not keen on a USB headset because that means more wire, so iMic Griffin is out. I am not keen on a Bluetooth headset because my Mac mini does not have blue tooth (I ordered it 4 days before they release the BT/wireless model...urrggg..).

So my simple request remain...does anyone have good experience with a USB handset that works on a Mac with Skype?

Thanks.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If I understand your post correctly, you don't want a USB headset because of the wires, but you do want a USB handset. But won't a USB handset also have wires?

Though this might be a useless repetition for you, since someone else has already mentioned it, I can still say that I have a Logitech USB headset w/mic and am VERY pleased with it. When I use Skype, and the person I'm calling is also using a USB device, it sounds like s/he's in the next room.

I thought all USB devices of this sort would work with Mac - you'll see them in the preferences panel under "sound" once you plug them in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

8. floatingzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Yes, you are right that the USB handset comes with wires, but if I can use both my analog line and Skype line on one handset, I was hoping to cut down some wires. Also, a number of USB handsets come with software that allows one to dial Skype users from the handset direct without touching the computer.

The YapperNut is what I am looking for. Just hoping some-one knows of a Mac-compatible brand out there somewhere.

Anyway, I have just checked out Skype Mac user forums. Apparently, a lot of Mac users are looking for exactly the same thing that I am asking about. No luck...looks like no-one has found a compatible Mac USB handset as yet.

9. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

Really??? :confused: I've actually held off buying an iSight because I thought it DIDN'T work with Skype.

Can anyone confirm this???

10. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

can i use a Bluetooth headset (for mobile phones) with Macs with bluetooth built-in?

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Ok, there are several types of headset.

First, there is usb and analog. I personally use usb because my mic port on my powerbook isn't amped and I didn't want to buy an imic or similar unit. I am not sure if other macs don't have their mic port amped either.

Second, after you decide which port you are using then there is a choice between the normal style or behide the ear/"street style".

Third, there is a choice between full covered ear, just normal paddening, or single ear in ear headset.

Fourth, there is noise canceling features you can get with headsets too.

ok...answer these question and I'll recommend you a headset :D

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

He wants a HANDset.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Do you really require land line compatibility as well? Why not just sign up for SkypeIn which allows you to receive calls from people with "regular" phones? If this is a possibility, the Firebox model may work for you.

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I had an inexpensive analog handset for a while, but the lousy sound drove me crazy. Hum, delay....the people I talked to were NOT happy, and asked me to call them back from my landline. I read that USB made a huge difference in sound, spent the 40 bucks Logitech was asking, and have been happy ever since. Only disadvantage is that I have to have the prefs on speaker to hear when someone is calling, then have to switch over to use the headset to talk. I need a sound prefs shortcut on the menu line at the top of my screen.

15. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

16. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Work is an subjective word when talking about that. Works _sometimes_ is more descriptive. I find people can't hear me but i can hear them. I have to hold and un-hold to get it back often.

17. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I use the Plantronics DSP-500, its very comfortable, compatible with OS X and XP (without any driver install) very comfortable, and fairly cheap (45-50 on amazon usually)

18. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I have an IPEVO free.1 phone, and it works great. I modified the driver that it uses, which is actually an application, so that the dock icon is hidden. That way it doesn't annoy me by being in the dock. I just set it as a start up item, and the phone always "just works" without any setup required.