Looking for 'wage' software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shaun.P, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hello,

I like to keep track of my wages at work. I get paid monthly, on the 28th of each month, and the 'cut-off' point is the 12th of each month.

i.e. if I earn $200 on the 13th, it will be included in next months wage check.

So, I work a pernament 3 days a week, but my wage varies on the date of these days.

I would like to know if software exisits where I type in what I earn an hour, the cut off point of my wages, and the date I get paid and the days I work and let it do all of the working out and tell me what I should be getting paid?

Does such a program exist, even for windows?

Thanks in advance

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just to make sure I understand this correctly:

You work three days a week, every week, and your pay for each day worked is the same (so no need to consider overtime, holiday pay, etc.).

Your paycheck, on the 28th of each month, includes pay for each day worked from the 13th of the prior month to the 12th of the current month.

Your pay can be caluclated from the simple (# days worked in that pariod) x (wage per day) formula, with no extra things thrown in.

I understand tha the total number of days per period varies... I'm just curious as to whether that is all that varies.

Is that all correct?

3. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Yes, that is all that varies. And if a certain day falls exactly on the 12th, it is *included* with my wages on the 28th.

I have been doing it all in Excel, but it is time consuming.

I have included a link to a picture from Excel.

[​IMG]

Thanks again. Is this easy to do with any program out there?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

OK. I do see that you have holiday and overtime pay as well.

Two other questions:

(1) Why list days as, say, "Oct 13-15" - does that mean Oct 13 and Oct 15? I'm confused.

(2) Is there an easy, predetermined way to define when you get overtime (hours in a given week, day, etc.) and which days of the year are holidays?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One other question: either a Mac or a Windows solution would work for you?

I don't have one in mind right now... it just seems like an easy problem, so I'm trying to think of simple solutions to it which are as automated as possible....

6. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

A mac solution would be definetely better.

13th-15th means 13th, 14th and 15th.

I have new days starting from next week, where I work:

Monday 5pm-11pm (5.5 hours (half an hour break))
    Tuesday 6pm-11pm (4.5 hours)
    Saturday 2pm-12 midnight (9 hours of pay).

Cut off point for over time is the 14th of everymonth, not the 12th. Overtime is simply a matter of them spontaneouly phoning me up and asking if I can come in.

7. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Oh and when I get holidays, say I'm off the 11th, 12th and 13th of May, (i.e. one week) it is ALL included into May 28ths Pay. It doesn't work out that i get the 11th and 12th in one pay and the 13th in next month pay.

Holidays in my work is one week that I would normally work, but I dont. I.e. 19 hours of pay for nothing. I get 4 holidays a year.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So does that mean that, if they call you in, unscheduled, on any day between the 15th of the previous month and the 14th of this month, it counts as overtime?

Also, do you ever work past midnight? And, if so, if you work from, say, evening of the 12th until 1AM on the 13th, does that mean one hour of pay in the next pay period (unless it's overtime).

I'd of course prefer a Mac solution as well... I was just curious.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This sounds like it might be fun. If I can find a moment this evening, I'll look into it!

10. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Yep what you said about overtime is correct.

I never work after 12 am. I work in a cinema and it is never open after 12 am.

I greatly appreciate your help. Surely an application that can do this sort of stuff easily is highly sought after? It would just be a matter of asking the user a series of questions:

How much do you get paid an hour?
    What days do you work?
    What hours in these days do you work (that you get paid for)?
    When is your works normal cut off point?
    When is the overtime cut off?
    When do you get paid?

It should then be able to generate an output with this information, supplied with the user by refering to a calender, and then displaying a nice output, not simply with the answer but maybe tables and stuff.

Maybe we should annoy some programmers and start a petition :p

I would happily pay a reasonable price for such shareware (up to $30).