Looking for web design software - recommendations please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ascender, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

I'm looking for an OS X compatible web design package. Doesn't have to be anything too flashy, just easy to use really. Its one piece of software I'm not having much luck in tracking down.

Thanks,

Mike.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

For ease of use, I'd recommend trying iWeb (part of iLife). Otherwise, Dreamweaver.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd heard that iWeb was locked in to publishing to .mac? Maybe I should have a look at it after all.

Thanks!

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

If you know nothing or very limited information about XHTML, CSS and so on then stick with iWeb or Rapidweaver Dreamweaver is not for the faint hearted in that respect and is only PPC compatible.

5. Daringescape macrumors regular

You may want to look at Freeway by Softpress. Its a different approach to web design if you dont know much about coding. You can also try Sitegrinder - its a photoshop plugin that converts PSD files to table-less CSS code - VERY HANDY if you know photoshop, I use it all the time.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Freeway (Express or Pro) is very easy to use. I know absolutely f-all about coding, but I was able to reproduce a professional website complete with rollovers and stuff in no time at all.

7. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Uh, Dreamweaver 8 is running on my Mac-mini Core Duo. Maybe you are referring to an older version?

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You can publish to a folder instead of .Mac. Then, it is just a matter of using FTP to upload it to your webhost.

9. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I think he meant to say its not a universal app, on IntelMacs it will be running under Rosetta

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Click on "More Info..." button for your Dreamweaver application. There under General: kind: it states PPC. :rolleyes: Hence is only PPC compatible. Sure it will run under Rosetta which it needs to in order to run (because it's only PPC compatible not Intel native) but when doing some of the stuff I do it's too clunky that way.

Besides some people prefer to have Universal apps and that stage Adobe don't really have too much of an excuse for keeping us waiting (but that's another issue for another thread).

11. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that Dreamweaver 8 runs under Rosetta. I guess I have a bit of a different definition of compatible. The way I think of that is if it runs on my system and doesn't crash it, then it's compatible. I don't have any problems with it right now, but I'm not using it heavily, and I'm only on a 30-day try it first download. I too am hoping that we will see the next version from Abobe soon. I'm considering a change from FrontPage, but there is one feature I haven't found yet in DW, and that's the way FP maps out your site visually for you. Maybe in the next go-around. For now it's almost a deal breaker. Is there a piece of software for the MAC that does this?

Thanks again...

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

13. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Clarification on what I meant - FrontPage can display a map of your site showing the structure of how the pages link together, from the index down through the subordinates, and can also provide good reporting on un-linked items and such. I don't think that CSSEdit does this. I haven't looked at skEdit yet - still a MAC newbie, but really enjoying it!

14. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

You did not just use the word "FrontPage" in a thread that has "web design" in the title did you? :eek:

15. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Dreamweaver also creates the flow-chart of the website, it's not just Frontpage.
    In Dreamweaver 8 look at the right side, the lower right corner panel, it says "site view" or something like that, in the drop down menu you can choose to see the layout like a site-map. If you can't find it I'll open Dreamweaver and give you the correct instructions :) just don't use Frontpage... lol.

16. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Nym, thanks! I'll look at that - Dreamweaver is a very busy layout, and it's a departure from what I am used to. But, I own FrontPage, just testing Dreamweaver. If this gives me what I'm looking for, then I will end up owning both!!!

Radiantm3 - sorry - climb back down off the ceiling now! At least it's not one of those four letter words - like Z*ne :D

Come on people! I just converted from that M-product. I really can't remember the last time I turned that computer on!