Looking for wierd cyberpunk games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Hey all,
    Ive been playing a lot of uplink hackers elite and am currently waiting for introversions new game defcon. I am wondering if any of you know ANY(old or new) cyberpunk/hacking/computer related video games for the mac that can tide me over for a while. Anyone else enjoy this genre?
  2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
  3. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    Nay. Never played a hacking game, save one web-based to which I remember no adress.

Syndicate is often referred to as an old cyberpunk-genre game - mostly because of dark graphics and stuff, but I don't think that's what you mean with cyberpunk.
  4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Cyberpunk... Blade Runner, but that's only for pc.

Wipeout, has always appealed to me... but its not so punky. Just a cool racer.

God, there used to be a good game for the sega cd, but the name escapes me.

My point is, my coldwave friend, cyberpunk is dead. Move on.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    You didn't mention it, so not sure if you looked at Inversion's current game, Darwina.

It's a bloody fab visual cyberpunk type game, originally mac-only i think, but cross platform now, and winning a slew of awards.

You control a mass of artificial-life entities by running programs via mouse gestures.

Heck, you probably know this already but I thought I'd mention it for other Macrumours readers.

Made in Britain by 'the last of the bedroom programmers'

6. woxel1 macrumors member

Aug 25, 2004
    I have just the game for you, if you can find it: BURN:CYCLE.
  7. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    No! Bedroom programmers are alive and well! Very much so, they've just gone considerably more underground in recent years since the majority of game players want more and more realistic looking games. I'm a bedroom coder!

Sorry, I'm very touchy on the subject.
  8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Generally revolves around technology gone bad, ghosts in the machine, rogue AI's, technology as part of the fabric of sweaty, grimy daily lives.

You might think this describes half the films made in the last couple of decades, and you'd be right.

Before cyberpunk, technology was generally a 'good thing' (TM) and it was the baddies that were 'bad people' - their tools weren't 'bad' in and of themselves.

William Gibson and Philip K Dick are generally thought of as starting off the whole exploration of the techno-dystopia thing, but it goes back much further than that - H G Wells and the section of 'The Time Machine' that deals with the upper-class Eloi living off the work of the grimy Morlocks.

One of the best films is Fritz Lang's film 'Metropolis' (1927) that also deals with AI and technology used to oppress the grimy masses.

There are many fascinating social trends that produced cyberpunk as a side-product - the disillusion with the golden future promised to americans in the 1950s, the realisation that labour-saving devices don't, the entrenchment of the upper classes in modern culture (according to some studies, social mobility now is less than it was 100 years ago).

Like Punk before it, cyberpunk was a reaction, a spit in the face to hippy-style golden dreams of every family having a jet-car and a different nylon suit each day of the week.

What was the post-cyberpunk movement? I'm not sure. I stopped reading so much science-fiction about the same time that the shift happened.

In Neal Stephenson's 'The Diamond Age' book, the cyberpunk thug dies violently within the first section of the book, and that was kinda seen as the death knell for cyberpunk.

I don't read so much now or watch so many films now, but I'll take a guess and say the movement now is kinda back towards fantasy genres, towards worlds with elves and without terrorists - Lord of the Rings, Warcraft; towards more internalised topics - A Beautiful Mind, Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Cryptonomicion etc.

Perhaps others more up to date could help put a name to the post-cyberpunk movements?

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk for a lot more info on books, films, and games.

It seems to suggest that there is no as yet widely accepted name for our current post-cyberpunk culture, tho I agree with its suggestion that current world-creation is much more socially focussed - the band of friends in Lord of the Rings, MMORPGS like Warcraft, the rise of forums and blogging on the internet, MySpace, Slashdot, MacRumours etc - all these things were much more margionalised a few years ago.

.. RedTomato the over wordy today..
  10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Rent the Bubblegum Crisis series. That should satisfy you for a while. :cool:
  11. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY