Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I was wondering if anybody has tried installing a wireless N PCI card in a PowerMac G4 QUICKSILVER yet? I currently have a Linksys Wireless G PCI card in my computer (since airport extreme wasn't available for the quicksilver). It works just fine, but it isn't N so it is slowing down my new wireless N router.

If this has been done or if you think it will work, let me know.

I thought I would try to install the linksys wireless N pci card, then install the airport extreme basestation software and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
It's not going to work because there are no drivers for such hardware.
And to be honest, it is unlikely that any PPC drivers will get written.

The easiest way of connecting your Mac to a 802.11n network is to buy a Wireless Ethernet bridge and plug it into your ethernet port. These devices require no drivers.

C

donlphi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Well... I kinda figured there wouldn't be any drivers made specifically for it. I just figured I would be able to somehow use the driver they offer to "unlock" the wireless N capability. I also wondered if there would be a "universal" driver in the installation disk that came with the router... kinda the same way the computer instantly recognized the Linksys PCI card without a driver.

Oh well... has anybody seen a wireless N Ethernet Bridge for sale yet?

chepistolas

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
I was wondering if anybody has tried installing a wireless N PCI card in a PowerMac G4 QUICKSILVER yet? I currently have a Linksys Wireless G PCI card in my computer (since airport extreme wasn't available for the quicksilver). It works just fine, but it isn't N so it is slowing down my new wireless N router.

If this has been done or if you think it will work, let me know.

I thought I would try to install the linksys wireless N pci card, then install the airport extreme basestation software and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

I apologize for hi-jacking your thread donlphi, but I was wondering what wireless Linksys card you put on your quicksilver. I am currently trying to find one but I don't know which one works.

Thanks for your time.
LG.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I use the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card with SpeedBooster. It worked without a special driver.

It's not the only one that works. There were a whole bunch that were supposed to. It was trial and error though. I literally went into OfficeMax and bought 1, took it home and tried it. If it didn't work, I brought it back. Only took me two tries.

I read that some machines work better without speedbooster, but mine didn't work without it.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I was just browsing through some of the Apple discussions. Is it true I can use a second airport extreme and use it as a Wireless N ethernet bridge.

Here is the configuration:

Living room:

Cable/Cable Modem connected to Apple Extreme wireless router.

Home Office:

Computer connected to another wireless N extreme wireless router via ethernet cable.

WILL THAT WORK? ANYONE?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.