Looking for work...

Discussion in 'Community' started by djtet, Apr 18, 2003.

1. djtet macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    OK...I really wasn't going to use this forum as a place to look for work, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to network. Everyone who's tried monster, hot jobs, etc., know that they don't work! The BEST was to get a job is by networking!

This is my situation...
    I moved to Charleston, SC about two years ago and at the time just finished some graphic/web schooling and started looking for a job. It didn't take long to realize that this area has extremely little (if any) opportunities in the design field. So, I have a 40/week non-design job and need to find some design work, either here or somewhere else. I will definately consider relocating elsewhere if it's a good opportunity. So please, if you know of anyone that's looking to hire a very eager, talented individual, let me know. My website is www.djtet.com (follow the link below)!
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I've had my resumé on monster.com for a few years now and have only gotten 3 nibbles... :(

I've found the absolute best way to find work is by networking my ass off. I make every chance encounter & person I meet an opportunity to get something. Go out and push yourself, ask questions to people, surround yourself with those who u know u can find success. It makes things a lot easier, when u are around like-minded individuals. to get that inside edge.

Most of my freelance work has stemmed from jovial discussion of things I'm doing and keeping up a good communication with people. ;)
  3. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Charleston, SC

Thanks for the input! When I first graduated college, back in 98', I couldn't find decent work and if I got any responses from monster, or such sites, it was garbage...it was similar to getting calls from telemarketers. Eventually I landed a job only because a friend got me in the door for an interview. Now, a few years later, I'm looking to break into the design industry (I used to be a marketing man) and I know the only way to get a decent job is by networking...

Hopefully a few others will see this thread and word will get out!
    Thanks again!
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i like the website...clear and to the point

job well done!
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That's interesting that with all the technology that we have today, the old tried and true is superior. One on one contact is always better!

I was suprise though to hear that monster.com etc are not that successful! :confused:
  6. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    The last two jobs I've gotten (in the web design/development field no less) has been through online job sites. One was through BrainBench and the other from a recruiter who found my resume on Monster.com. For both jobs I'd had multiple interviews from different companies at the same time, all gotten online. I think I'm just one of the lucky ones though.

My boyfriend's been out of work for almost a year and a half and he's only had one or two phone interviews from online sites. His last job was through a friend as well.

This economy doesn't make it any easier, either!

7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Dude, the next time a job interview doesn't go well. Bolt up from your chair and tear off your shirt while howling at the top of your lungs. :D
  8. GeneR macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The land of delusions, CA.

I get an alumni email letter from time to time with design jobs in it. I'll PM people if they are interested. Just PM me. Thanks! :D

P.S. Most of the jobs are in So Cal, so if that's a problem, don't PM me. :D
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Sign up with the local temp services, you'll get a few crappy temp jobs to hold you over, eventually you'll find a temp-to-hire job that you like enough to stick with. It's how i got my job, which is like the best job on earth... besides pastry-factory quality control...

10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Happy belated B-Day Alia! ;) Did you do anything special on you day? I hope that your boyfriend finds a job soon.