Looking forward to Call of Duty 2 for Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by WoofJoe, Sep 30, 2005.

1. WoofJoe macrumors newbie

Thought I'd post some info about the Call of Duty 2 demo for Windows since there's a good chance the game will be ported to the Mac. Well, here's hoping anyway.

Based on the demo alone, the more graphics memory the better. This appears to be the first game that really exploits 512MB VRAM. In fact, the game will automatically lower texture detail above 1280x1024 for graphics cards with less than 512MB VRAM even if you've specified higher settings in the options menu. Benchmarks show that an ATI X800 with 512MB memory outperforms an nVidia 7800GTX with 256VRAM at higher resolutions. This is important to note for those who game on a 17 or 19-inch LCD and wish to keep the resolution at native.

My Windows gaming machine includes an nForce 4 Ultra mobo, AMD 64 3800 Venice (2.4Ghz), 1GB Corsair 2-2-2-5 DDR3200 RAM, and nVidia 7800GTX. I saw 17-34 frames-per-second at 1280x1024 resolution while playing the COD 2 demo, regardless of having 4x FSAA enabled or not.

Yes, the game plays and looks good. However, it doesn't play or look so great as to justify those low performance numbers. I imagine a G5 paired with a 9800 would be a minimum requirement to play COD 2 at 1024x768. If a Mac gamer were looking forward to this game, it might be a good idea for him to wait and see if ATI offers the X850 as a stand-alone purchase for the Mac.

There is one other thing to consider though. COD 2 was developed primarily for the XBox 360. Might it run better on a PowerPC platform? That's an interesting question. Let's hope we can find out on the Mac side.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm still looking forward to CoD1! I had just started playing it late last year...when I got WoW the first day it came out. I haven't played Call of Duty since, but I'm looking forward to it one of these days! That might be a good one for me to get on PS3, assuming I get one, since console controllers give my game-induced carpal-tunneled hands a break with a different grip. Much as I prefer the mouse and keyboard setup for FPS, it has completely shot my hands and wrists. :(

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Those specs are rather high. I doubt it would have minimum specs of a 256MB graphics card.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Jeez, I just finished upgrading my computer to a standard that allows it to run the original CoD well. If CoD2 won't run on my current setup (see sig) I'm afraid my CoD days might be numbered. :(

Does CoD 2 still use the Quake III engine? I'm assuming it is something newer. Don't expect the Mac port to be out until a year after the PC verison debuts - maybe longer if they decide to wait until the Intel switch.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

We're sure to be having more of these possible "contradictions in posts" :D regarding PPC / x86 Mac gaming....

XBox360 games >> PPC >> lots of PPC Mac games
    Windows games >> x86 >> lots of x86 Mac games

Both??
    :confused:

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't think anybody has answers on that now - I'm really curious to see how the Intel switch (or the switch to the G5-ish console CPUs) affects gaming on the Mac.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Me too.

Both ways.... it should only get better IMHO :)

8. WoofJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

More on COD2

Saw the chief COD 2 developer from Infinity Ward on G4 TV.

He said that COD 2 was designed for multiple CPU cores (PPC mind you) and that the XBOX 360 version easily outperforms the PC version. AI has its own dedicated core on the XBOX.

Anyway, I'm really interested to see if there will be any XBOX trickle down before the PowerMac changes over to X86. After all, G5s were running (albeit slowly) all the XBOX 360 games at this year's E3. I'm thinking a dual, dual-core G5 might give a better showing.

It's fun to speculate anyway.

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Chances the world will ever see a quad-processor (dual/dual) PowerMac G5 are about the same as seeing a PowerBook G5...very slim.

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure it's a whole new engine.

11. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I emailed Aspyr media and they said that they dont know if theyll make COD2 for Mac. Also, I asked them about processors and they said that they would probably make it for Intel due to the switch if they even made it. Aspyr told me that they didnt really even considering making it for Mac so its not even at the top of their list. We could never even get the game. (sigh)

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Funny, I googled Call of Duty 2 mac and this thread was one of the first hits.

Thanks for the Aspyr info, looks like they just helped me out on an Xbox 360 purchase.

13. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

14. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Actually Doom 3 holds this honor. :)

I bet someone has a foot in their mouth! :D

It looks amazing, but I doubt my PPC-based laptop will be able to handle it.

15. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Hilarious.

16. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I kinda thought that the acid test for a game as to whether or not it's likely to be ported to the Mac is whether it uses DirectX or OpenGL for its graphics. id's various Quake engines have always relied on OpenGL so porting them and the games that run on them has been relatively easy but I believe that DirectX can be a bitch to convert (no experience and no sources to confirm this, incidentally). Quake 4, therefore, should be something that we can expect at some time but since Infinity Ward developed a custom graphics engine for CoD2 then I guess all bets are off if it was based on DirectX which, since its going to the XBox360, is probably what it is. This would be a shame since the first game on the Mac was great.