1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Looking Forward to the 17th

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Shrek, Jan 11, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Ok, it's been little more than a year since the release of the new flat-panel iMacs. When do you all think that the iMac will updated again? I'm thinking on the 17th, approximately 6 months after the announcement of the 17-inch iMac. What kind hardware do you think it will have and what features do you think it will be loaded with? Here is my prediction:

Now I'm going to go back and finish watching the Titans game. You just know that I have to watch. ;)

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think that if they did offer the specs you are predicting the iMac would cut a BIG hole in PowerMac sales which wouldn't be good IMO.

3. macrumors 65816

benixau

1.25Ghz
    dual 1.25Ghz

this is how the people percieve it and how apple markets it. the umbes matter,

but we need those speeds in the imacs to be relfected in higher pmac speeds. oh well., we can only hope .... :)

4. macrumors member

Shrek: I think these specs would be great. Like I've said before, I don't believe that these specs would hurt pmac sales for several reasons. One, the pmacs have dual processors. Two, they are upgradeable. And three, the pmacs will probably receive faster processors shortly after the iMac update. So, 1.25 GHz would be a sufficient bump after over 1 year of waiting.

I may be asking too much, but I would like to see a faster FSB than 167 MHz. Don't the new 12 inch pbooks have a 233 MHz FSB? Maybe the iMacs could use the same board, while the upgraded pmacs could get 333 MHz FSB from the 17 inch pbooks. (I may have these specs wrong?)

Lastly, I'm not sure Apple would have two 19 inch models only separated by processor speed. People that are willing to pay for 19 inch iMacs will most likely want the faster processors.

Just my opinion. :D

5. macrumors 6502

Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

Go Pittsburgh!! :D :D :D

6. macrumors 68040

mac15

it must be something with iMacs, on apple.com.au store they have an 8 day wait, I smell and update.
    I think upto 1ghz with bluetooth and Airport Extreme. And 17inch screens across the board

7. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

Too bad. Titans won by the skin of their teeth in overtime. But I have to say that that was the most exciting football game I have ever seen! GO TITANS!!! ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPERBOWL!!! :D :D :D

8. macrumors 65816

Consumer level

The iMacs are generally aimed at the home user, I agree that it would be cool if all those options would be avaliable but the iMac, and the ones before it were meant to be simple enough to use for someone who has not used one before.

Don't hate me for this.

If you need something with all those options, you'll be a pro user so a G4 Quad Exhaust would help.

I'm open for comments that kick me to the ground.

9. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

exactly how will you go about doing this in that flat panel imac.

iJon

10. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Consumer level

Just FYI, the new PowerMac is known better as an MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors) PowerMac :)

11. macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Consumer level

Yeah I know that, but quad exhaust sounds cool, so I'm sticking with what I said.

12. macrumors 65816

Yeah I knew, but how much better does Quad Exhaust sound?

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

Easy. Build a bigger base. ;)

14. macrumors newbie

If you build it, they will come....

15. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Re: Consumer level

er...it doesn't IMO, but each to their own.

16. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Yeah, PC users will come! Especially, uh, PC users like me. :p

17. macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: Looking Forward to the 17th

Then hide it under your desk!!

18. macrumors newbie

Speaking of the sound of quad exhaust -

I hope they aren't as loud as some have described. My new DP867 is somewhere in the back of a truck on the way to my house from CA.

I can barely contain myself waiting for the big day. I already have the 15" Studio Display, which is making the wait 10x harder.

My iMac DV 400 is retiring to easier days as a email/kids station.

19. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

We call them the G4 Wind Tunnel or Mirror, but you're right, the extra noise is greatly exaggerated. It is much louder, but still not too bad. Certainly not enough to cut down on speaker quality like some people have said.

Those iMac specs are not too likely, and frankly, I'd rather see cheaper iMacs with similar spec to what they have now than extra power iMacs.

JW

20. macrumors regular

edesignuk, how in the hell do you expect people to concentrate on the thread when you have a 'tar like that?

21. macrumors 65816

Call it what you call it, I'll call it what I call it.

22. macrumors 6502

I like "Quad Nostril" better

23. macrumors 65816

Shrek

lol

24. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

pb bus

The 17" has a 167 bus and the 12" has a 133 bus.

25. macrumors regular

I thought they were addressed as "Windtunnel" ...

Because the fannoise experience was quite similar

:rolleyes: