Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
My dad wants to use part of his Christmas bonus to buy a new TV for the family room. The current set is a standard res 27" TV, and he wants to take it up a step, but not a full-blown plasma or huge HDTV. I don't know if it's possible, but the budget is around $600, $700 max. He put me in charge of picking it out, so I'm looking for any advice.

(I also want to be able to run my Wii on 480p while I'm here on break from school :D)

PS: I saw this on froogle: http://www.kmart.com/catalog/produc...d=118&gpCategoryId=117&hpp=112306_HomeHero_TV

Any good?^

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just get any TV that's in the budget. I'd rather have a typical cheap TV from a trusty company than an LCD from a company I have never heard of until today.

Ever try Dell? They have some TVs and they're usually cheap for everything. I don't know their pricing and have never taken a look at the TVs on their site, but I know they sell them.

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Syntax Olevia...

Try a search for Syntax Olevia LCD HDTVs...cheap with very good reviews. I bought a 27 inch 2 years ago and it has been a fantastic set.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I've recommended the Panasonic EDTV plasmas in a past thread, so I'll repeat the recommendation here. The sets are 480P: they display SD materially beautifully and are also great for HD content. Cheaper than LCD. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.