Looking to Buy an LCD TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zflauaus, Jan 14, 2007.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I think I am going to be the first to jump the HD bandwagon in my house. And I'm only 15.

I am looking to design a new component-management case and my dad thought about putting them against the corner of my wall. While I think this is great and have it all figured out, I have one dilema, I have no where to put my 19" CRT big-a$$ RCA TV. So I have decided to start investing in an HDTV. I would like to stay under $500 and would like to have probably a 19" TV.

Here are my requirements:

-Needs an OTA HD Tuner as I don't have any other HD Source
    -Needs a VGA Input for my PC/DVR
    -Needs Component Inputs
    -Needs Two Composite Inputs
    -Needs Audio Output (Whether it Be Standard RCA or Optical for the Future)

What I Would Be Doing With It:

-Playing the Original XBox and Gamecube
    -Watching DVDs
    -Watching OTA Programming
    -Watching Recorded Shows

Like I said, it needs to be under $500 and wall-mountable. I am open to suggestions.
  2. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2006
    Don't know of any under $500 that are quality, but if you can swing another $100, Best Buy has a Westinghouse 27" HD LCD right now. I own a 32: WH LCD, and it rocks. Westinghouse does make a 19", but it's hd-ready, not built in
  3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    As much as I'd like to have the 27", I can't because I can't scrounge up enough money right now. Anybody else have suggestions?
  4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The hurdle is the need for an OTA tuner. Working at CC I haven't seen a television smaller than 26" (flat panel) with an HD tuner built in. I really like the Samsung LNS1952W, and it fits every single requirement you set forth. Unfortunately, an OTA tuner is going to cost you $179 or thereabouts.
  5. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Yeah, that's the only thing is the tuner. I have looked at the Samsung and I was seriously thinking about it, but seeing as it doesn't have an OTA tuner, :( .

The only reason I would need the tuner is that while we currently have DirecTV, my room does not have DirecTV hookups and we'd also need to get the oval dish along with more installation and cable and that's not really what I need. I would buy an HDTV Tuner Card for my PC, but it's only a 1.2GHz Celeron. So what do you think I should do?
  6. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Depending on where you live, it would really suck to have to buy an OTA tuner, and only have a couple of stations. In Chicago, we have a handful of OTA HD chnannels, but they aren't worth $179 for a tuner. I don't know much of HD tuners for computers, and I assume decoding HD content is kind of a hefty task for a 1.2 ghz Celly. However, if there is no decoding, why not?
  7. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I'm in Washington County, IL, about 50 miles from St. Louis. We only have 5 HD channels that are capable. So I guess the OTA tuner is not worth it. So if I get the 19", my best bet would be to go through DirecTV?
  8. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    You should be able to get an HD-receiver from DTV for $99 (e.g. Costco, no contract) or less (from DTV, with contract extension), of course you'd need to get the oval dish and new wiring and would end up paying DTV $5 for the new receiver and $10 for the HD package.... But you'd get quite a few more channels than 5 local networks...

FWIW Costco had a true 720p 22" Samsung HD monitor for $475 w/coupon on my last visit. Lower res than the 19", but bigger.

9. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    As a matter of fact, Costco's HD receiver is only 85 for lease and 100 for purchase. Costco currently offers a Vizio 20" LCDTV for $399 (Retail for sure, Costco might be the same price) with a built-in HD tuner.

link for more details.